Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Dyche on Transfer Window

29 January 2015

Sean Dyche has confirmed Burnley have had a bid rejected for Dundee United midfielder Stuart Armstrong as the Clarets keep looking to strengthen their squad in the January transfer window.

The Clarets boss has also revealed he doesn’t expect to continue his pursuit of the 22-year-old Scot, who would have joined the club’s Development Squad.

And having already bolstered his ranks with the permanent signing of Michael Keane from Manchester United earlier this month, Dyche insists the club are still working hard to add to the squad with the transfer deadline looming.

He said: “We have always been looking to add to the squad. Different offers have been in for players and one has been rejected today.

“He [Armstrong] was more of a development player in our world. We weren’t thinking of him as someone who would go straight in to the first team.

“We’ve got to be active on players that we think can affect us now. But we’ve also got to make sure that we make plans for the future and we thought he would be one who would fit that.

“He is a good, young player that we think could learn and develop with us. But it won’t happen now by the looks of things.

“We’ve had offers in for what you’d call more recognised players that haven’t got over the line at the moment, but we’ll see where that takes us.”

Dyche added: “If you are a club that can constantly throw money at things, it usually gets to happen.

“For us, there is a limit to certain players and how much we can pay for them and we’re trying to be realistic within that.

“We’re not going for players who are way beyond our league and hoping for the best. We are going for players who we think can fit not just our team, but the finances as well. I must make it clear though that the team does come first.

“They’ve got to operate in the way the team operates, understand and also enhance that. That’s the first thing and then the finance comes second, but they have to be at least in our ballpark. Unless they are there’s no point in going down that road.”

Finally, Dyche also once again reiterated the club have no intention of selling any of their players before the January transfer window draws to a close on Monday night.

He said: “There will be no goings-out. We made that clear and unless there are some astronomical fees involved, no one will be going out.”


Advertisement block