Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Burnley 1 Tottenham 1

5 January 2015

Burnley 1 Tottenham 1

SAM Vokes sealed his return to action in goalscoring style with the equaliser to earn the Clarets an FA Cup replay at Spurs.

The striker has been forced to wait patiently following his recovery from cruciate knee surgery suffered late last season.

Indeed, his last goal came in March from the penalty spot against Doncaster Rovers at Turf Moor en-route to promotion to the Premier League.

But that was all put behind him when, in only his second appearance back as a substitute, he turned home Michael Kightly’s 73rd minute cross to cancel out Nacer Chadli’s second half opener and force a rematch at White Hart Lane next week.

Sean Dyche made two changes to the side that earned a hard-fought draw at Newcastle on New Year's Day.

Danny Lafferty made his first start of the season at left back, with Kightly replacing David Jones as Scott Arfield reprised his central midfield role from St James’ Park.

However, the first half failed to live up to the expectations of this all-Premier League tie. Neither goalkeeper was tested at all in the opening half, where Spurs dominated possession but found Burnley’s pressing game denied them any meaningful advances into enemy territory.

The second half could only get better - and with the introduction of bang-in-form Harry Kane, Spurs immediately looked to turn the screw.

The England U21 striker wasted little time getting involved, picking up possession on the left and firing wide, shortly after Federico Fazio headed tamely at Tom Heaton.

That spurred on the ghosts and six minutes into the half, Burnley’s own U21 starlet Danny Ings showed terrific control and cut back on to his left foot for a fierce, angled drive that Michael Vorm was relieved to gather at the second attempt.

But in the 54th minute, Spurs finally made the breakthrough. Ben Davies picked out Chadli from the left flank and the Belgian controlled and slammed home from 12 yards with the aid of a deflection.

Heaton immediately saved well with his legs at his near post from Kane as the angle tightened.

The hour brought the Clarets’ first substitute, as Vokes replaced Barnes for only his second appearance since his long-term injury.

And the Welshman was involved in Burnley’s best moment with 20 minutes remaining, feeding George Boyd on the edge of the box, who in turn slipped in Dean Marney, only for the midfield man to fire over with the outside of his right foot as the Spurs defence closed ranks.

Moments later though, Vokes announced his return in typical fashion, putting the Clarets back on level terms.

Michael Kightly overlapped on the right and cut the ball back perfectly for the striker, whose first time flick nestled inside the right hand post.

Rejuvenated, Burnley poured forward again and Ings forced Vorm to hold onto his long deflected effort.

And as both teams went to win it, Ben Mee made a terrific block to deny Eriksen before Kane miskicked horribly from 12 yards in the dying seconds.

BURNLEY: Heaton; Trippier, Keane, Mee, Lafferty; Kightly, Marney (c), Arfield, Boyd (Wallace 78); Barnes (Vokes 60), Ings (Sordell 78)

Subs Gilks, Jutkiewicz, Reid, O'Neill

SPURS: Vorm, Chiriches, Fazio, Vertonghen (c), Davies; Dembele, Stambouli (Kane 45); Chadli, Eriksen, Paulinho, Soldado (Townsend 67)

Subs: Friedel, Dier, Naughton, Capoue, Onomah

Booked: Stambouli 9

Ref: R East

Att: 9,348 (2,494)

Advertisement block