Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Burnley U18s 0-4 Preston U18s

25 February 2015

The youth team suffered a 4-0 home defeat to Lancashire rivals Preston North End in the North West Youth Alliance.

The Clarets conceded two goals in each half at Manchester City’s Carrington Training Ground in treacherous winds.

The reversal of fortune came after an impressive 5-2 victory at the weekend against Shrewesbury Town, but Professional Development Phase Lead Coach, Terry Pashley was forced to make three changes from that result through injury.

The game could have had a different storyline had forward Khius Metz converted his golden chance early in the game.

The first-year-scholar collected the ball in the box before forcing a sublime point-blank save from Preston’s goalkeeper.

And on the half hour mark Preston were ahead. A short back-pass from defender Vashiko Dixon was latched upon before England schoolboy goalkeeper Connor King felled the advancing attacker.

The resulting spot kick was coolly placed into the bottom right corner, sending King the wrong way.

The Lilywhites doubled their advantage four minutes later. Preston’s winger, Luke Pritchard went on a mazy run, creating space to slot into the far corner, via the post.

Burnley’s own winger, Bradley Jackson, came close to reducing the arrears just before half time.

Jackson, who scored a brace at the weekend, attempted an audacious chip from 30-yards, but the effort floated just wide.

After the break Burnley continued to search for a way back into the game.

Midfielder Brandon Wilson fired a ball across the goal line, begging for a touch what would inevitably cut the deficit.

The Clarets fielded a teenage trialist in the fixture and the winger almost created a goal, cleverly flicking the ball on to Metz who was in on goal. The Irishman attempted to round the Preston stopper, who clawed the ball to safety.

From that, Preston countered and Pitchard scored his third with an arrowed strike from the corner of the box which flew past King.

And with 10 minutes remaining the number seven scored his fourth. Powering through on goal and firing home despite the best attempts form King.

The Clarets almost grabbed themselves a consolation in stoppage time through Jackson, who picked the ball up from the wing, cut inside and then produced a shot which looked certain for a goal.

But in keeping with a disappointing day for the young Clarets, the North End goalkeeper somehow got a fingertip to it to rub salt into the wounds.

Burnley: King; Grogan, Hobson, Dixon, El-Fitouri; Jackson, Wilson (Fenton 76), Bianga (Howarth 76), Trialist (Crawford 76); Dolling, Metz.
Sub not used: Wusiewicz

Advertisement block