Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Hull City 3 Burnley 0

26 December 2015

Hull City 3 Burnley 0

Burnley suffered the Boxing Day blues as Hull staged a second half powerplay to steal a march on the Clarets.

Two goals either side of the hour mark from Jake Livermore and Abel Hernandez inflicted a third away league defeat of the season on Sean Dyche’s men.

And Sam Clucas put the final nail in the coffin deep into stoppage with a close-range finish from Robert Snodgrass's cut back.

Top scorer Andre Gray had Burnley’s best chance, flashing a shot wide shortly after Livermore had fired the Tigers ahead.

But the Clarets were left to look to home comforts as they look to see out the old and see in the new at Turf Moor, starting with the visit of Bristol City on December 28.

Sean Dyche named an unchanged side for his 150th game in charge of the club.

And it was a bright start by the Clarets, looking to find their double-pronged strike force of Sam Vokes and Gray.

But it was Hull who created the first chance, with 11 minutes gone. Mo Diame picked up the loose ball 25 yards from goal and his low drive was heading for the bottom corner but for the intervention of Tom Heaton.

Burnley remained solid in their framework in the opening quarter of the game. And in attack it was a case of almost, but not quite, as Boyd almost took a Scott Arfield through ball in his stride, and then watched the Scot’s whipped cross fly inches above his head.

Heaton, meanwhile, was in the right place to head Harry Maguire’s firm header from a left wing corner over the bar on the half hour.

And when Burnley tested Allan McGregor for the first time themselves, six minutes before the break, the Tigers’ last man was equal to Joey Barton’s rising snapshot.

And 12 minutes into the half, Hull grabbed the crucial opener,

Sam Clucas was a little fortunate to get a deflection that took him past Matt Lowton, and he capitalised with a delightful cross that was dispatched in style by Livermore on the volley.

Burnley had a big chance to respond immediately, when Dean Marney’s low ball into the mix was only half cleared to Gray.

But the Clarets’ top scorer put his laces through the ball from eight yards on the right side of the box and flashed his shot wide of the target.

And moments later, City made them pay by doubling their lead.

Hernandez was found in the right channel on the counter, cut in onto his favoured left foot and fizzed a fine, low finish across Heaton and in the bottom corner.

Sub Rouwen Hennings was close to reducing the arrears as he juggled the ball from right foot to left before volleying wide.

And Matt Taylor was also just off target as he composed himself on the edge of the area from fellow sub Michael Kightly’s low cross.

But it mattered not as Clucas rifled home from close range in the closing seconds to send Hull six points clear of the Clarets at the year end.

BURNLEY: Heaton, Lowton, Keane, Duff, Mee, Arfield (Kightly 69), Barton, Marney, Boyd (Taylor 76) Gray (Hennings 69), Vokes.
Subs: Gilks, Jones, Ward, Darikwa

HULL: McGregor, Odubajo, Davies, Meyler, Hernandez (Snodgrass 84), Clucas, Maguire, Livermore, Diame (Huddlestone 84), Robertson, Elmohamady.
Subs: Jakupovic, Maloney, Akpom, Hayden, Diomande.

Ref: M Clattenburg

Att: 21,842 (2,422)

Advertisement block