Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Burnley 4 Charlton 0

19 December 2015

Burnley 4 Charlton 0

The Clarets scored four for the first time in the league under Sean Dyche in a Christmas cracker against Charlton Athletic.

Scott Arfield, making his 100th league start, scored either side of half time to start the party.

Strikers Andre Gray and Sam Vokes then joined in the fun as Burnley ran out comfortable winners against the Londoners.

And a welcome first win in seven games moved Sean Dyche’s men into the festive period ominously just six points out of the automatic promotion spots.

Matt Lowton made his first start for the Clarets in one of two changes, replacing Tendayi Darikwa.

Dean Marney also started his first home game since February, with David Jones dropping to the bench to accommodate Vokes' return to the attack.

The game set off at a very slow tempo, with neither side opening up a clear-cut chance in the opening 40 minutes.

It looked to be a frustrating half for the Clarets, especially when a big opportunity went amiss three minutes before the break.

Lowton’s deflected cross squirmed to the far post and the ball fell nicely to Gray, but the usually clinical forward lashed his effort over the crossbar, albeit with a flag raised.

The visitors’ first shot on target then came a minute later.

Captain Johnnie Jackson struck fiercely at goal from 25-yards, but the midfielder’s testing strike was expertly tipped over by the alert Tom Heaton.

And a minute before the break the Clarets finally broke the deadlock!

Matt Lowton broke up an Addicks corner and Burnley countered, with Gray finding the rampaging full back in the right channel.

Lowton's low delivery again found Gray at the far post, and his air-shot fell kindly to Arfield at the edge of the box, where the winger coolly slotted into the bottom right corner past a host of bodies.

All nerves were gone, and in the opening 10 minutes of the second half the Clarets scored two goals in quick concession to put daylight between the teams.

Vokes, who scuffed an effort wide a minute earlier, venomously went for goal, forcing Stephen Henderson to tip over for a corner.

Boyd played the set-piece short to Marney, who cleverly squared to Arfield at the edge of the box - and the wide-man rifled in his and Burnley’s second of the game, via a helpful deflection.

And two minutes later the Clarets found the back of the net once more.

Boyd was again the architect, surging forward from midfield. The winger perfectly found Gray to his left, and there was no doubting the outcome, as the former Brentford forward steered past Henderson.

Heaton then pulled off a stunning save to cap off a whirlwind 10 minutes.

Iranian playmaker Reza Ghoochannejhad arrowed a volley to the bottom right corner, but Burnley’s captain wonderfully tipped wide.

Arfield had a chance to seal his hat-trick 15-minutes from time, but the winger’s curling effort was deflected wide, and agonisingly just past Gray.

And three minutes later the Clarets completed the rout.

Lowton’s pin-point cross from the right found Vokes on the penalty spot, and the Welsh international stabbed effortlessly past Henderson.

The Clarets almost made it the high five in stoppage time, but substitute Rouwen Hennings saw his venomous strike superbly saved.

Burnley: Heaton; Lowton, Duff, Keane, Mee; Boyd (Taylor 82), Marney, Barton, Arfield (Kightly 82): Vokes, Gray (Hennings 80).
Subs: Gilks, Ward, Darikwa, Jones.

Goals: Arfield 42’, 53’, Gray 55’, Vokes 78’


Charlton: Henderson; Solly, Bauer (Sarr 66), Lennon, Fox; Diarra (Bergdich 63), Cousins, Jackson, Fox; Makienok, Vaz Te (Ahearne-Grant 29).
Subs: Charles-Cook, Pope, Holmes-Dennis, Konsa.


Attendance: 15,697 (234 away)

Advertisement block