Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Dyche Buzzing As Clarets Get Back On Track

22 August 2015

Clarets boss reflects on Brentford victory and declares: There's more cash to spend!

Sean Dyche felt his side were worthy winners as they saw off Brentford to register their first three points of the season.


Michael Keane’s second goal in as many games was enough to see off the Bees at Turf Moor.




And Dyche, who broke the club’s transfer record this week to bring in Brentford striker Andre Gray, insisted there was still more money to spend as he looks to finalise his squad for an assault on the Championship!


Dyche said: “I was generally happy, but there is still more to come from the performances.


“We were nice and solid, although a little nervous in the first half, which is understandable.


“We’re all aware we needed that first win to get up and running, and there’s some big clubs still waiting for that, by the way.


“It just creeps in a little bit and you can sense the fans saying ‘come on lads, give us that first win’ and we are thinking that too.




“The players were just a bit edgy, but we calmed the boys down at half time and in the second half we were more productive.


“We had some big chances and I can’t really remember Tom Heaton having too much to do.”


New signing Gray watched his new side beat his old from the stands, as his signing came too late to be included in Saturday’s squad.


Andre Gray (centre) watches Burnley beat his former club


And Dyche revealed he had been tracking the 24-year-old for some time before pouncing to add the former England C international to his strike force.


The gaffer said: “I’ve been saying all along that we have always been trying to spend.


“Just to answer a million questions about why we didn’t spend this money last year, we tried. Trust me!


“I can assure you we that all of last season we were in the market as hard as we could and as hard as we have been this summer.


“It’s just that this summer those situations have opened up more readily for us.


“We have had to go strong to get this (Gray) deal done and it’s been going for a long time.


“People think it’s happened in the last few days, but we always do our business respectfully and let the deals evolve to the point in which they get done.


“Some get closer and then get further away. This one had both, but we have always been pro-active.”




He added: “The Board have always backed me and there’s still work to be done.


“But when you think back to Steven Fletcher as the record signing in 2009, for £3m and where the market has gone since, then the Gray fee seems pretty good value for me.


“The fee is undisclosed, but it’s nowhere near the one quoted and when you think of the new heights that the market has reached in the last six years then it’s a pretty balanced view of where the club is today.


“That’s why we pushed the button on this to go as hard as we can.


“Don’t forget also that we have brought money in already through three players leaving. Danny Ings (fee) is still pending, so despite the business we’ve done I bet we will be in profit!


“So this is money that is sensible for the club and can be afforded by the club.


“It fits the business side of things, so we can still do all the good things you see, like the new training ground.


“There’s a lot of thought goes into this, but we’ve still got money, so if situations arise, we will be active!”


 

 


Advertisement block