Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Burnley 2 Bradford 0

1 August 2015

Michael Duff celebrated in style with a clean sheet as the Clarets ended their pre-season on a high with a convincing win against Bradford City.

The Clarets veteran, 37, was made captain for the day and more than played his part, before bowing out to a standing ovation five minutes from time, then saying a public thank you to Clarets fans on the pitch at full time.

And on the pitch there was plenty to be enthused about as Sean Dyche’s men saw off the Bantams thanks to goals in each half from Lukas Jutkiewicz – his fourth of pre-season – and Matt Taylor.

The only dark cloud on an otherwise celebratory afternoon was a worrying ankle injury to Fredrik Ulvestad, who was stretchered from the arena and sent to hospital for precautionary X-rays after a brief three-minute spell as a second half substitute.

Also absent on the day was right back Matt Lowton, who is suffering from a shin injury.

And that made way for new signing and former Chesterfield defender Tendayi Darikwa, who made an eye-catching debut just 24 hours after meeting his team mates for the first time.

Michael Kightly was first to test the gloves of Ben Williams in the Bantams goal, latching onto Lukas Jutkiewicz’s flick and seeing his angled effort saved.

And Duff was intent on playing his part, showing all his experience to get in positon to head over Josh Morris’s goalbound far-post header.

But Burnley were soon back on the attack and Vossen was inches away from his first Turf Moor goal, volleying Jutkiewicz’s knock down into the turf from 18 yards and seeing Williams claw the skidding  ball for a corner.

The Belgian striker soon had two more chances, first miskicking from six-yards and then seeing a flick header from Kightly’s clipped cross held by Williams.

And the overworked City keeper was in action again midway through the half following a sweet move by the Clarets.

Boyd’s skill released the impressive Darikwa on the right and the full back swung over a Trippier-esque cross that Jutkiewicz headed straight into Williams’ midriff.

And the duo were involved again as the Clarets finally made the breakthrough on the half hour.

This time Darikwa found Boyd on the right with a clever reverse ball, but the player of the year found his route to goal blocked.

Instead, he turned and cleverly switched play to the right, where Ben Mee fed Michael Kightly for a low cross that Jutkiewicz controlled at the near post, before spinning and finding the opposite corner with a confident finish.

James Hanson should have levelled immediately, but stabbed the ball just wide after finding space in the box with just Heaton to beat.

Jutkiewicz, meanwhile, was at the sharp end of Burnley’s attacking edge, and he again tested Williams with a daisy-cutter after a jinking run to the edge of the box.

However, there remained a threat from the visitors and they came close to a leveller with the final bit of action five minutes before the break.

Tony McMahon rattled the underside of the bar with a stinging free kick from inside the D – and when the loose ball was clipped to Hanson at the far post, Michael Keane was in the right place to clear his downward header off the line.

Burnley were straight on the attack at the restart, with Darikwa again featuring heavily in what was turning into a sensational debut.

The right back broke up a move on the edge of his own box, then seconds later linked up brilliantly with Boyd to fire over a delicious cross that Vossen met with a diving header, which sub keeper Jussi Jaaskelainen did well to save.

Heaton had hardly been tested at the other end, but he equal to another McMahon free kick and Christopher Routis’s low drive as Bradford enjoyed a good spell.

A triple substitution midway through the half brought a new strike force of Sam Vokes and Marvin Sordell, with Fredrik Ulvestad replacing David Jones to complete the triumvirate.

However, the Norwegian lasted only a few minutes before hobbling off following a knock to the ankle, with Matt Taylor stepping in.

And within two minutes, the former West Ham midfielder stepped up with his first touch to rifle a free kick past former Upton Park colleague Jaaskelainen and double the lead.

Sam Vokes came close to adding to the tally before Duff was withdrawn seven minutes from time, to a standing ovation from the Turf Moor crowd.

A fitting end to a good day’s work!

BURNLEY: Heaton, Darikwa (Dummigan 90), Keane, Duff (Ward 82), Mee, Arfield, Jones (Ulvestad 66 (Taylor 72)), Kightly, Boyd, Jutkiewicz (Sordell 66), Vossen (Vokes 66).

Subs: Gilks, Taylor, Anderson, O’Neill

BRADFORD (starting): Williams, Darby, Meredith, McArdle, Clarke, McMahon, Routis, Morris, Knott, Clarke, Hanson

Subs: Jaaskelainen, Sheehan, Hendry, Leigh, Liddle, James, Marshall, Grant, Motley-Henry, Davies

Ref: B Toner

Att: 4,825 (943)

Advertisement block