Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Burnley 2-2 Birmingham City

15 August 2015

Burnley 2-2 Birmingham City

Matthew Taylor’s stunning late free-kick earned Burnley their second draw of the season in a controversial Turf Moor clash.

The Clarets came from behind twice in the game, with Michael Keane and then Taylor cancelling out Jon Toral and Paul Caddis’ efforts.

And the Clarets were left to rue another penalty decision that went against htem early in the game, following a pull on Lukas Jukkiewicz, followed by a soft spot kick awarded to City in the second half that allowed the visitors to regain the lead.

Sean Dyche named an unchanged side from the opening day 1-1 draw at Elland Road. 

Brad Jackson, last season’s youth team player of the year, featured on the bench for the first time in a league fixture, after being an unused substitute against Port Vale in the Capital One Cup. 

And after a sloppy start from Burnley, the visitors took the lead with 10 minutes on the clock.

A long punt forward from Tomasz Kuszczack was flicked on by powerful forward Clayton Donaldson before Toral venomously found the bottom corner with a half-volley. 

Burnley responded positively and almost a minute later found themselves an equaliser. 

George Boyd tested Kuszczack with a low strike, but Lukas Jutkiewicz couldn’t convert from the initial parried effort, striking straight at the former Manchester United goalkeeper. 

On the half hour mark, City came whiskers away from doubling their lead, winger David Cotterill curled a strike from the edge of the box that cannoned off Tom Heaton’s right hand post and away to safety.

And again Burnley responded. Tendayi Darikwa’s cross was flicked on by Michael Kightly and Jutkiewicz’s volley on the swivel was well held by Kuszczack. 

Five minutes from the break the Clarets were thankful for their new captain Heaton for keeping the deficit down to one. 

Stephen Gleeson’s thunderbolt from 35-yards was destined for the top corner, but Heaton was equal to it, wonderfully tipping over.

And five minutes after the restart the Clarets were level, as Keane opened his account for the club.

An in swinging free-kick from Kightly was flicked on to the far post by Jelle Vossen and Keane had a simple finish to bring the two sides level.

And just when the Clarets were growing into the game, referee David Coote awarded a controversial penalty after Donaldson appeared to leave his hanging and Paul Caddis converted the resulting spot kick.

With 15 minutes remaining the Clarets went looking for an equaliser. Darikwa bombed forward down the wing, beating the full back before crossing low along the six-yard box needing just a glance off anyone, unfortunately it evaded everybody.

A touch of brilliance from Matthew Taylor just two minutes after his introduction rewarded the Clarets an equaliser.
The former West Ham midfielder produced a stunning free-kick from 25-yards that clipped in-off the crossbar to set up an exciting remaining 10 minutes.

The Clarets had a half chance with moments to play. Marvin Sordell found himself with time in the box just six-yards out, but the forward couldn’t find a gap to convert and was robbed with possession.

BURNLEY: Heaton, Darikwa, Mee, Duff, Keane, Kightly (Taylor 78), Jones, Arfield, Boyd, Vossen (Vokes 67), Jutkiewicz (Sordell 84). 
Subs:Gilks, Ward, Anderson, Jackson 

Yellow: Vossen 45', Arfield 

Goals: Keane 51’, Taylor 81’

BIRMINGHAM: Kuszczak, Grounds, Kiefenbeld, Gray (Maghoma 90), Gleeson, Donaldson, Cotterill, Toral (Davis 75), Spector, Morrison, Caddis. 
Subs: Legzdins, Eardley, Robinson, Thomas, Shinnie
Yellow: Spector 78’

Goals: Toral 10', Caddis 62’

Ref: D Coote 
Attendance: 15,061 (806) 

Advertisement block