Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Development Squad Report: Burnley 3-1 Wolves

15 April 2015

A strong Development Squad defeated Wolverhampton Wanderers 3-1 at Gawthorpe Training Ground on Tuesday afternoon.

Second half goals from Ross Wallace, Lukas Jutkiewicz and Jamie Frost cancelled out Wolves’ early opener.
Sean Dyche witnessed the victory on the new pristine pitches at Gawthorpe, watching an experienced side, with eight of the starting line-up having all featured for the first team this season.
Matt Gilks started behind a back four of captain Steven Reid, who has returned from a minor calf injury, Tom Anderson, Michael Keane and Stephen Ward.
The Clarets started with five in midfield, with Wallace and Michael Kightly starting on the wing either side of Nathan Lowe, Frederik Ulvestad and Matthew Taylor with Jutkiewicz starting as a lone striker.
The visitors took the lead in the 17th minute, rifling in a quality strike from the corner of the box, which flew past Matt Gilks and smashed in off the crossbar.
From then the Clarets controlled the game. Two free-kicks in quick succession both whistled past the post, the first from Wallace and the second from Matthew Taylor.
Jutkiewicz looked lively throughout and his quick feet in the box created space to lay off Nathan Lowe, who shot at goal to force a fine save.
On the half hour mark the Clarets almost levelled. Stephen Ward bombed down the left before striking the crossbar from inside the box, before Wolves could clear.
The Clarets did however level straight from the restart. Jutkiewicz was bright again before finding Wallace at the far post, who had a tap-in.
Jutkiewicz then turned from provider to goalscorer on the hour mark, beating his man on the right before stabbing in the second past the goalkeeper’s right.
Burnley controlled the game ever since going behind early on and completed the comfortable victory with a third 15 minutes from time.
The third being a near carbon copy of the first, this time it was Kightly with the assist, setting up Frost, who made no mistake just minutes after replacing Lowe.
Burnley: Gilks; Reid, Anderson, Keane, Ward; Kightly, Lowe (Frost 67), Ulvestad, Wallace, Taylor; Jutkiewicz.
Elsewhere at Gawthorpe there was a second fixture for the development squad. A combination of the U21s and trialists defeated R.I.A.S.A (Richmond International Academic & Soccer Academy) 6-1 in a later kick-off.

Advertisement block