Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Burnley 0-1 Leicester

25 April 2015

Burnley 0-1 Leicester

Burnley suffered a heart-breaking defeat in a dramatic encounter at Turf Moor.

Matt Taylor hit the post for the Clarets from the penalty spot, moments before Jamie Vardy gave Leicester City all three points on the hour mark.

To add to the drama, Foxes goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel then pulled off a magnificent save to deny Burnley a late equaliser.

The loss left the Clarets at the foot of the Premier League table, with four rounds of fixtures left to be played.

Sean Dyche made two enforced changes to the Burnley side that began previous five matches.

Taylor was handed his first start since August in place of Ashley Barnes, who was suspended following his sending-off away at Everton last weekend.

Meanwhile, Lukas Jutkiewicz came in for Sam Vokes, who was out injured, for his first start in six months.

With the visitors lining up in a 3-5-2 formation, the game got off to an energetic start from both teams.

Fittingly, Jason Shackell found himself in the thick of the action at both ends in a matter of seconds on 9 minutes.

First, the Clarets skipper headed a Burnley free-kick back into the danger zone at the far post and the visitors only just about managed to scramble the ball away.

Moments later, it was Shackell to the rescue in the other penalty area when he bravely threw himself to clear a dangerous ball in by Vardy behind for a Leicester corner.

However, despite a high-tempo start, it wasn’t until the 22nd minute when either team registered their first effort on target.

Then, Tom Heaton made a comfortable save following Vardy’s low shot on the turn.

Burnley finally created their first chance just past the half-hour mark.

Kieran Trippier’s out-swinging corner was headed on by Michael Duff, before Taylor’s strike from close range was brilliantly kept out by Schmeichel in the Foxes goal.

But overall the opening 45 minutes delivered little goalmouth action.

At the break, Sean Dyche opted for a slight tactical change with Taylor and George Boyd switching flanks.

Esteban Cambiasso then curled a free-kick from a promising position over the crossbar just three minutes after the restart.

In response, Duff’s near-post header was deflected behind by Leonardo Ulloa following another Burnley corner at the other end just moments later.

On the hour-mark, the game suddenly took a dramatic twist.

First, after Ings’ initial effort was parried away by Schmeichel, Taylor was brought down inside the box by Paul Konchesky.

However, despite sending Schmeichel the wrong way, Taylor himself could only hit the outside of the post from the spotkick.

And it only got worse for the Clarets just moments later.

After an inviting ball in by Marc Albrighton, Heaton did superbly to somehow prevent the ball from going over the goalline after an inadvertent near-post flick by Duff, only for Vardy to force the ball over the line and put Leicester ahead.

On 71 minutes, Ross Wallace and Marvin Sordell were thrown into the action as Burnley looked for an equaliser.

And the Clarets must have thought they indeed found the leveller with just seven minutes left on the clock, in what mirrored the incident leading to Leicester’s goal earlier on!

After substitute Ritchie De Laet misjudged a long diagonal ball by Wallace, Ben Mee’s powerful cross-shot took a deflection off Robert Huth which wrongfooted Schmeichel, only for the Dane to somehow pull off a stunning reaction save and keep the Foxes in front.

Shortly afterwards, the Leicester goalkeeper was once again alert when he, this time, comfortably held to Wallace’s first-time strike from Danny Ings’ ball in.

At the other end, Heaton also stayed focused to prevent substitute Matty James from sealing the visitors’ win shortly into stoppage time.

But Leicester held on to their victory, leaving Burnley adrift at the bottom of the Premier League table.

Burnley: Heaton; Trippier, Duff, Shackell, Mee; Boyd (Wallace 71), Arfield, Jones, Taylor (Kightly 85); Ings, Jutkiewicz (Sordell 71).
Subs not used: Gilks, Keane, Ward, Ulvestad.

Leicester: Schmeichel; Wasilewski, Huth, Morgan; Albrighton (De Laet 71), King, Drinkwater (James 77), Cambiasso, Konchesky; Vardy, Ulloa (Kramarić 64).
Subs not used: Schwarzer, Upson, Mahrez, Wood.

Goals: Vardy 60’

Bookings: Mee (66’), Ings (73’), Wallace (85’)
Referee: Anthony Taylor

Advertisement block