Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Development Squad slip to Chelsea defeat

25 September 2014

The Development Squad lost 3-2 at Chelsea’s Cobham training ground on Wednesday afternoon after having an early two goal lead.

A goal either side of the half-time whistle and a third late on completed the turnaround for the Blues who grew into the game.

The Clarets got off to a fast-paced start and it took just five minutes for Michael Jolley’s men to take the lead through Nathan Lowe. Fresh from a hamstring injury which sidelined the midfielder for a short spell, the first-year professional burst forward before unleashing a venomous strike from 25 yards that flew beyond the despairing dive of Chelsea’s Mitchell Beeney.

The home side were shell-shocked and Burnley capitalised further when Jamie Frost chipped over the back four to the in-form Jason Gilchrist, who saw his effort skip up off defender George Brady and loop over Beeney to make it 2-0.

Following the assist, Frost nearly found himself on the score sheet himself; shooting from just inside the area to see hit effort well tipped over on the 20 minute mark.

Chelsea’s first real chance of note came in the 28th minute when a low, drilled ball was fired across the Burnley back-line and Conor Mitchell gladly watched it wide.

The London side grew into the game as the half went on and if it wasn’t for a fine point-blank save from Northern Ireland U19 keeper Mitchell, the Blues would have found a way back into the game.

That deficit was halved though on the stroke of half-time, despite the big appeals from the Claret shirts for a push on centre-back Callum Richardson. Alex Davey won at the back post from Todd Kane’s corner and Jordan Houghton nodded the hosts back into the contest.

And moments after the restart Chelsea scored the equaliser, after Palmer met a low cross from the right hand side to restore parity.

The momentum swung again and Burnley could have restored their lead in 52nd minute, but were denied by the woodwork as Lowe struck a swirling free-kick from distance that cannoned off the post.

Following a number of second half changes from the Chelsea bench, the home side showed their class with 10 minutes to play.

A neat passing move ended with Kane sending a low dipping effort into the bottom corner beyond the reach of Mitchell, and the turnaround was complete.

Burnley: Mitchell, Dummigan, Richardson, Whitmore, Conlan, Daly (Hill 84), Hewitt (Galvin 88), Lowe, Howieson, Frost (Massanka 68), Gilchrist.

Advertisement block