Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Burnley U21s 0-2 Hull City U21s

30 September 2014

Burnley Development Squad crashed out of the U21 Premier League Cup in the first qualifying round after suffering a 2-0 defeat to Hull City at Turf Moor.

The visitors scored both of their goals in the first 20 minutes through Sone Aluko and Will Aimson.

Development Squad manager Michael Jolley named a strong line-up with Alex Ciask starting between the sticks and a back four of Stephen Ward, Kevin Long, Michael Keane (who tasted his first match in a Claret shirt), and Danny Lafferty. Nathaniel Chalobah played 80 minutes in the middle of the park before limping off.

It took Hull just twelve seconds into the match to take the lead, when a back-pass from Manchester United loanee Keane, fell just short to Cisak and his clearance ricocheted in off the pressing forward Aluko.

Hull City thought they doubled their advantage 15 minutes later when Aluko turned provider to thread winger Tom Ince on goal and buried into the back of the net, only to find the linesman’s flag lifted.

The second did fall minutes later when defender Aimson gambled on a deep Matthew Dixon ball to nod past Cisak at the back post.

The Australian stopper denied the Tigers their third with a wonderful diving save after a powerful strike from Harry Maguire that looked destined to find the back of the net.

Tom Ince came close on the stroke of half time to make it three, but the former Blackpool and Crystal Palace playmaker sliced his effort to the delight of the Clarets defence.

Burnley’s first chance of note came just after the hour mark when Jamie Frost scooped over the back four to New Zealand international Cameron Howieson, who was guaranteed a golden opportunity if it wasn’t for Maguire’s stretching leg, who tipped wide for a corner.

Burnley enjoyed the majority of possession in the second half with the visitors failing to have a single effort. With just 15 minutes to play, Gilchrist came closest to breaking the Clarets deadlock with a strike from the edge of the box but keeper Jakupovic watched the attempt curl just wide before the referee blew the final whistle to exit the Clarets in the opening round.

Burnley: Cisak, Lafferty, Long, Keane, Ward, Chalobah (Daly 80), Hewitt, Lowe, Howieson, Frost (Massanka 80), Gilchrist.

Advertisement block