Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Burnley 0 Sunderland 0

20 September 2014

Burnley 0 Sunderland 0

Burnley registered their third consecutive goalless draw as points were once again shared at Turf Moor.

The Clarets got off to a fast-paced start and also finished the game on a strong note, but were unable to find the breakthrough despite a host of chances against a Sunderland team also still looking for their first league win of the season.

And best chances came right at the end with substitute Ashley Barnes and Patrick van Aanholt both hitting the woodwork!

George Boyd was handed his Turf Moor debut as Sean Dyche made just one alteration to the side that drew at Crystal Palace last weekend.

Marvin Sordell replaced the injured Danny Ings up front and Burnley were out of their blocks immediately.

Wes Brown had to stretch to clear Boyd’s inviting ball across the face of goal behind for a corner with just seconds on the clock.

Moments later, Kieran Trippier tested Vito Mannone in the Sunderland goal with a well-struck long-range effort.

Then on five minutes, Lukas Jutkiewicz got to a loose ball inside the penalty area before pulling it back to Sordell, who would have surely applied the finishing touch had captain John O’Shea not put him under sufficient pressure in the nick of time.

The visitors simply couldn’t cope with the intensity imposed by the Clarets early on and after Jones had dispossessed Rodwell high up the pitch, it was again Brown who only just about managed to deflect Jutkiewicz’s strike into the gloves of Mannone.

In response, Giaccherini’s dangerous shot was comfortably saved by Tom Heaton.

The Clarets kept knocking on the door, though.

David Jones combined with Boyd brilliantly on the edge of the box, but the former could only direct his shot straight at the Sunderland goalkeeper.

After a frantic start, the game finally settled down and the visitors enjoyed a prolonged spell of possession – without genuinely threatening, however.

Even when Sunderland did manage to get a man over on the counter-attack, Heaton made another routine stop to deny Wickham towards the end of the first half.

Shortly afterwards, Jutkiewicz worked out space for himself outside the box before unleashing a right-foot effort that one more time had Mannone on his toes.

Neither team were capable of breaking the deadlock before the break though - and the second half saw a rather sedate start to proceedings.

Jack Rodwell had a fierce shot eventually dealt with by Heaton on 53 minutes.

Three minutes later, Jason Shackell came to Burnley’s rescue when Adam Johnson and Giaccherini combined well on the counter-attack.

The skipper cleared the ball away from the danger zone as Connor Wickham was lurking just behind to provide the finish from the Italian’s ball across the face of goal.

Wickham then turned sharply before dragging an effort wide of the post just past the hour-mark.

Meanwhile, the Clarets kept applying pressure of their own.

On 68 minutes, Jutkiewicz combined with Scott Arfield, whose surprising strike meant Mannone had to be alert at his near post.

Moments later, Jutkiewicz had a penalty appeal turned down by the referee as Sunderland were forced extremely deep into their box.

And the Turf faithful could now sense a goal was coming when Jutkiewicz turned O’Shea and broke into the penalty area with 13 minutes to go.

The striker, who stayed on his feet despite the Irishman’s attempts to pull him down, was denied by another solid stop by Mannone from a tight angle, though.

On 81 minutes, substitute Barnes and Jutkiewicz linked up to set up one more chance, but the latter couldn’t direct his effort on target.

It felt as if it simply wasn’t to be for the Clarets when Barnes’ deflected effort bounced off the top of the crossbar late on.

And matters nearly got even worse in stoppage time when van Aanholt’s piledriver was somehow kept out by Heaton, with the help of the post.

In the end, honours were even leaving Burnley understandably disappointed, but also aware – including the appreciative home crowd – of another solid display.

Burnley: Heaton, Trippier, Duff, Shackell, Mee, Arfield, Marney, Jones (Wallace 85), Boyd (Reid 90), Sordell (Barnes 62), Jutkiewicz.

Subs not used: Gilks, Keane, Ward, Kightly.

Bookings: Marney, Reid

Sunderland: Mannone, Vergini, O’Shea, Brown, van Aanholt, Rodwell, Cattermole, Giaccherini (Buckley 72), Larsson (Jordi Gómez 67), Wickham, Johnson (Altidore 67).

Subs not used: Pantilimon, Jones, Bridcutt, Graham.

Bookings: Rodwell, O’Shea

Referee: Anthony Taylor

Attendance: 20,026 (3,964)

Advertisement block