Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Burnley 1 Hull City 0

8 November 2014

Burnley 1 Hull City 0

Ashley Barnes was the hero as Burnley celebrated their first win back in the Premier League against Hull City.

The striker sent Turf Moor into ecstasy shortly after the break when he headed home Kieran Trippier’s cross into the box.

And his goal – his first since the promotion-clinching encounter against Wigan Athletic last April – proved enough to defeat the visitors, who finished the game with 10 men having used all their substitutes.

Barnes was handed his first home Premier League start for Burnley as he was preferred to Marvin Sordell up front.

Meanwhile, Hull City manager Steve Bruce welcomed back goalkeeper Steve Harper into his first eleven.

Prior to kick-off 30 soldiers of the 4Lancs Regiment provided a guard of honour as both sets of players entered the pitch.

Then, a period of silence was observed with Turf Moor paying its respects to those who gave their today for our tomorrow on the eve of the Remembrance Sunday.

Once the action got underway, Burnley were inches away from getting off to a perfect start.

Danny Ings got the better of James Chester as the two challenged for a loose ball on the edge of the box, but – with Harper off his line quickly – could only divert the ball agonisingly wide of the post on his weaker foot.

In response, Abel Hernández dragged a shot off target for the visitors.

On nine minutes, captain Jason Shackell produced a superbly well-timed challenge to block Sone Aluko’s dangerous-looking strike.

With the first quarter of an hour gone, neither team managed to get control of the game, though.

However, the Clarets slowly began to crank up the pressure.

On 21 minutes, George Boyd’s floated ball in from a corner was headed back across goal by Stephen Ward at the far post – right into the path of Ings. 

The striker’s well-hit, acrobatic effort was beaten away by Harper before Robbie Brady somehow succeeded in clearing the ball off the line in a goalmouth scramble.

And Ings and Barnes started to link up impressively well with City forced to some desperate defending.

The England under-21 international even tried the audacious when he spotted Harper far away from his goal as the match approached half-time.

His left-foot snapshot from inside his own half of the field missed the target, though.

And it was still goalless at the break following, all in all, a rather uneventful first half.

At half-time, the remembrance commemorations continued as club co-chairmen Mike Garlick and John Banaszkiewicz accepted a plaque outlining the six Burnley players who fell during The Great War. 

It was presented to them by Military Policeman and British serviceman Peter Briggs.

Back on the field, Burnley made their pressure count five minutes into the second half.

After Ings’ initial effort was blocked, following a quick one-two with Barnes, Trippier whipped in a wonderful ball to the far post where the former Brighton striker made no mistake for his first Premier League goal.

It was the first time the Clarets went in front since the opening match of the campaign against Chelsea.

Bruce reacted by making all three substitutions before the hour-mark as City changed their formation in a bid to find an equaliser.

And the visitors finally began to apply pressure of their own with Burnley defending resolutely and putting their bodies on the line.

On 73 minutes, Hernández turned sharply just outside the box, but was still unable to test Tom Heaton with a well-struck left-foot effort.

All in all, however, the Clarets showed little signs of giving away their well-earned lead.

And Hull then suffered a further blow as captain Curtis Davies was forced to leave the pitch with an injury with a quarter of an hour remaining.

Having already used all their substitutions, the visitors were down to ten men.

That didn’t stop City from continuing their search for an equaliser, but they couldn’t create an opening against a Burnley defence that stood strong to see the game out.

The wait for another Premier League victory was over.

Burnley: Heaton; Trippier, Duff, Shackell, Ward; Arfield (Kightly 55), Marney, Jones, Boyd; Ings, Barnes (Jutkiewicz 75).
Subs not used: Gilks, Keane, Mee, Chalobah, Sordell.

Bookings: Shackell, Ward, Duff, Marney, Ings, Jutkiewicz

Hull City: Harper; Chester (Ben Arfa 59), McShane, Davies; Elmohamady, Livermore, Huddlestone (Ramírez 51), Diamé, Brady; Aluko (Quinn 51), Hernández.
Subs not used: Jakupović, Rosenior, Robertson, Meyler.
Goals: Barnes 50

Bookings: Chester, Hernández, Brady, Livermore.

Referee: Mark Clattenburg

Attendance: 16,998 (1,574)

Advertisement block