Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Burnley 2-1 Leeds United

15 March 2014

Burnley 2-1 Leeds United

Burnley came from behind to defeat Leeds United and win for the fourth time in the last five games.

Scott Arfield made the difference midway through the second half after his initial shot was blocked.

Earlier, an own goal by Jason Pearce cancelled out Ross McCormack’s opener inside the first 45 minutes.

The Clarets extended their unbeaten run to fourteen matches in the Championship and also completed a league double over their opponents for the first time since the 1926/27 season.

Ashley Barnes was given his first Burnley start as he replaced the injured Danny Ings in the Clarets line-up.

Ross Wallace had the game’s first shot after five minutes before David Jones curled a dangerous free-kick from the right. Both efforts went wide of the post.

Shortly afterwards, Matt Smith forced a comfortable save from Tom Heaton before Jones’ unfortunate backpass put McCormack through on goal.

The Championship’s top scorer chipped the ball over the advancing Clarets goalkeeper, but his strike came back off the post.

Jason Shackell blocked the resulting follow-up from the Scottish international.

Burnley responded by applying pressure of their own, particularly down the flanks. Arfield broke into the penalty area from the left on 19 minutes, but his ball across the six-yard box was put behind by Jack Butland.

However, it was Leeds who took the lead eight minutes later.

A long throw into the box was flicked on at the near post by Smith before McCormack directed his header beyond the reach of Heaton for his 25th goal of the season.

The Clarets had the chance to get an immediate equaliser on the half-hour mark. Following a deep corner by Wallace, Kieran Trippier’s first-time volleyed pass found its way to Barnes, but he couldn’t keep his header down.

On 38 minutes, Wallace and Trippier were involved again as Burnley got back on level terms.

Dean Marney picked up the ball inside his own half before taking advantage of a trademark piece of movement down the right.

Wallace came short to drag Leeds left-back Danny Pugh out of position and vacate space for the marauding Trippier. The full-back got away from his marker – Connor Wickham – and controlled Marney’s delightful ball over the top.

Then, he sent the ball dangerously across goal in the direction of Sam Vokes who was beaten to it at the near post by Pearce, the centre-back turning the ball into his own net between the legs of Butland.

And the Clarets could have gone in front just before the break when Vokes reached Arfield’s ball through and poked it past the advancing Leeds goalkeeper.

The Welshman didn’t have enough pace, though, to get to the ball one more time before it went out of play.

After the restart, Burnley quickly began search of a second by clearly upping the tempo. At the other end, Wickham was threatening down the left for Leeds.

Junior Stanislas was introduced in place of Wallace on the hour mark.

Not long afterwards, Arfield’s ball across the face of goal was cleared behind by Pearce following a nice piece of link-up play between Barnes and Vokes.

On 68 minutes, the Clarets finally took the lead.

Stanislas found Ben Mee on the overlap and the left-back pulled the ball back to Vokes who missed his kick under pressure. However, the ball broke to Arfield at the far post.

The Scot’s initial left-foot effort was blocked amidst some desperate defending by the visitors before he got his second chance. This time, on his right foot, he hit the ball straight into the corner of the net to put Burnley in front for his sixth league goal of the season.

And it could have been three just moments later when Vokes set up Stanislas inside the box only for the substitute to drag his shot wide off target.

The Clarets dealt with a series of corners as Leeds now looked for an equaliser.

On 82 minutes, Stanislas was involved again when Barnes headed his cross from the right just past the post.

The visitors applied more pressure in the latter stages of the game, but Burnley held on to strengthen their grip on second place in the Championship table.

Burnley: Heaton – Trippier, Duff, Shackell, Mee – Wallace (Stanislas 60), Marney, Jones, Arfield – Barnes (Treacy 90+2), Vokes.
Subs: Cisak, Long, Lafferty, Edgar, Kightly.

Leeds: Butland – Byram, Lees, Pearce, Pugh – Mowatt (Poleon 66), Austin, Murphy, Wickham – McCormack, Smith.
Subs: Cairns, Warnock, Wootton, Brown, Stewart, Hunt.
Goals: Pearce OG 38, Arfield 68 – McCormack 27

Bookings: Jones – Pearce
Referee: Mr Simon Hooper
Att: 18,109 (3587)

Advertisement block