Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Yeovil 1 Burnley 2

11 January 2014

Yeovil 1 Burnley 2

In a week dominated by the arrival of Ashley Barnes, it was the old one-two from Danny Ings and Sam Vokes that earned the Clarets a first win in seven away games.

As if fired up by the signing of former Brighton striker Barnes, Burnley’s twin terrors were on target in each half to take their combined total for the season to a stunning 33 goals!

Ings grabbed his 21st of a remarkable season to put the Clarets ahead in the 20th minute.

And a deserved victory on the club’s first ever visit to Huish Park was assured when strike partner Vokes tapped home his 12th of the campaign midway through the second half 

Substitute Keiffer Moore had nerves jangling by pulling a goal back for the Glovers with 10 minutes.

But with the defence holding firm and a late debut for Barnes as a replacement for Ings, it was a perfect day for Sean Dyche’s men, who secured second spot with a sixth away league win of the season.

Dyche named an un-named starting 11, which meant a place on the bench for new signing Barnes, who was back in his home county of Somerset after completing a deal from Brighton on Friday morning.

And on a glorious day the Clarets started brightly, as Trippier crossed and Ings swivelled with his back to goal and hooked a shot onto the roof of the net.

It was a scrappy opening 20 minutes on a horribly bobbly pitch, but the deadlock was broken in stunning fashion by the Clarets’ top scorer.

David Jones won the ball back after a misdirected cushioned header and fed Ings, who turned in a central area and beat Marek Stech with a stunning strike from 25 yards.

More terrific interplay almost carved out a second for the Clarets striker just past the half hour mark

Again Jones was involved and from his positive pass, Scott Arfield rolled the ball back for Ings to cushion a side-foot from distance just over the bar.

The Clarets were now well on top and from Treacy’s first time cross from the right, three minutes before the break, Vokes failed to get enough on his header to beat Stech.

Straight from the restart Burnley maintained their positive approach - and were close to being rewarded after just five minutes.

Treacy was fouled on the charge 25 yards from goal - and from the resulting free kick just left of centre, the Irishman forced former Burnley trialist Stech into a fine sprawling save low to his right.

The Clarets defence had dealt with most of Yeovil’s threats comfortably in the opening hour, but it took a magnificent Michael Duff challenge just before the hour to preserve the precious lead.

Joel Grant spun on the penalty spot and as he shaped to shoot Duff, on his 36th birthday, dived in to deflect his effort for a corner.

Back came Burnley and after Arfield drilled a shot straight at Stech, another raking move down the right saw Trippier cross for Vokes to clip a near post shot off the outside of the post.

As the second half opened up, however, there was a let off for the Clarets as dangerman Grant rose unmarked to meet Luke Ayling’s cross and headed against the top of the bar.

But just past the hour mark, the Clarets doubled their lead and gave themselves valuable breathing space.

Marney took advantage of a slip by Shane Duffy and, after exchanging passes with Ings, squared the ball across goal for Vokes to slot home the simplest of tap-ins.

Vokes soon brought another fine save from Stech with a stinging half volley as he and Ings combined brilliantly again.

And the overworked Glovers keeper needed every inch of his six-foot-plus frame to grab Ings’ looping header as the Clarets looked to put the game out of sight.

Heaton was forced into his first save of the afternoon 13 minutes from time when sub Joseph Ralls forced him to tip over his fierce header from 12 yards.

Vokes was inches away from sealing it with a header from Marney’s cross that landed just wide of the far post.

And with 10 minutes remaining, Yeovil made it a nervy ending as sub Keiffer Moore’s cross evaded everyone and crept in at the far post.

There was a late debut for Barnes as he made his introduction with two minutes of normal time remaining and Town desperately looking to find a way back into the game.

But the visitors saw that, and five extra minutes out, with no more panics to chalk up a second successive victory.

Burnley: Heaton, Trippier, Lafferty, Shackell, Duff, Treacy (Stanislas 73), Marney, Arfield, Jones, Ings (Barnes 88) Vokes.
Subs: Cisak, Stock, Long, Edgar, Kightly.

Yeovil: Stech, Ayling, Duffy, Webster, Davis, Dawson (Moore 61), Lundstram (Upson 67), Edwards, Ralls, Hayter (Morgan 75), Grant.
Subs: McAllister, Foley, Lanzoni, Dunn

Referee: Stephen Martin

Att: 6,293 (1,705)

Advertisement block