Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Bournemouth 1 Burnley 1

15 February 2014

Bournemouth 1 Burnley 1

A double substitution from Sean Dyche came up trumps as Keith Treacy salvaged a point for Burnley on the south coast.

The below-par Clarets trailed to Tokelo Rantie’s early second half header when boss Dyche rolled the dice and introduced Treacy and fellow wide man Ross Wallace.

And within six minutes they combined as Wallace - back following a long absence through injury - duly teed-up Irishman Treacy for the leveller to earn Burnley a share of the spoils in a scrappy contest.

Burnley named an unchanged starting line-up for the fifth successive game, with Keith Treacy replacing Danny Lafferty on the bench. 

And despite overnight concerns over the pitch, following stormy weather on the south coast overnight, the pitch was in perfect condition.

Backed by a blustery wind, the hosts made the brighter start, as they looked to trouble the Clarets with the pace of Rantie and Lewis Grabban.

But it was right midfielder Matt Ritchie who forced the first save of the day from Tom Heaton in the 20th minute, as he drove a 25-yard effort straight into the keeper’s midriff.

And a marvellous block from skipper Jason Shackell denied dangerman Rantie a clear shot on goal as the ball broke to the South African on the edge of the box.

A minute's silence ahead of kick off for Sir Tom Finney

On a bobbly pitch, the Clarets rarely threatened in a scrappy opening half. 

But Michael Kightly might have done better when he over-hit the ball in a two-v-one situation along with Scott Arfield, following a defensive slip, and saw the chance disappear.

Finally, the deadlock was broken five minutes after the break as Ian Harte swung over a corner from the right and Rantie stooped to find the far corner with a header.

It was only the third goal of the season for the striker – with two coming against the Clarets!

However, stung by going behind, Burnley suddenly came to life and, following a sweet passing move, Ings scuffed his shot from the right side of the box.

And as the Clarets looked to find a way back the double substitution followed on the hour, with fit-again Wallace and Treacy replacing Arfield and Kightly.

And the two substitutes combined almost immediately to haul the Clarets level. 

Wallace read Dean Marney’s neat back heel into his path on the right corner of the box and only had eyes for goal.

But as his shot looped up of a defenders boot, wide man Treacy was steaming in unmarked at the far post to find the roof of the net on the half-volley.

Now Burnley were on the hunt for a winner, but a rare mistake by Shackell allowed Grabban a run on goal that ended with Heaton turning his shot form a tight angle behind for a corner.

And from the resulting dead ball, Heaton brilliantly turned over a firm header from captain Tommy Elphick.

There was controversy when referee Graham Scott awarded the Cherries a free kick right on the edge of the box after Trippier appeared to be barged over by Grabban. 

But in a game of precious few clear-cut chances, a fourth league defeat of the season would have been harsh on the Clarets, who earned a reprieve – and a precious point - as sub Yann Kermorgant curled the resulting effort over the angle.

Burnley: Heaton, Trippier, Mee, Shackell, Duff, Kightly (Wallace 61), Marney, Arfield (Treacy 61), Jones, Ings, Vokes (Barnes 82)
Subs: Cisak, Long, Edgar, Stanislas. 

AFC Bournemouth: Camp, Francis, Cook, Elphick, Harte, Ritchie, Arter, O'Kane (MacDonald 45), Pugh, Rantie (Kermorgant 71), Grabban (Pitman 87). 
Subs: Allsop, Smith, Surman, Fraser. 

Booked: Pitman 88, Kermorgant 90

Referee: Mr. G. Scott 
Att: 10,422 (1,406)

Advertisement block