Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Bolton 0 Burnley 1

11 February 2014

Bolton 0 Burnley 1

It was sweet sixteen for Sam Vokes as Burnley buried their Reebok hoodoo to strengthen second spot in the Championship.
The Clarets had not won away to Wanderers for nearly 30 years, stretching way back to 1985.

But Welsh striker Vokes ended that barren run just before the hour mark with his 16th goal of the campaign.

And that precious strike - the 40th of the season for the prolific Vokes and Danny Ings partnership - was enough to settle a blood-and thunder Lancashire derby of few clear cut chances.

Clarets boss Sean Dyche named an unchanged side for the fourth game in a row.

Opposition manager Dougie Freedman made two changes from his side’s frustrating 2-2 draw with Bournemouth last weekend with David Wheater and Medo replacing Zat Knight and Mark Davies.

And it was the home side that made the brighter start when Chung-Yong Lee cut in from the left wing and tested Tom Heaton, moments after the Burnley stopper had slipped whilst clearing an unexpected back pass.

Bolton came close to breaking the deadlock after nine minutes when Lee’s shot deflected over Heaton and struck the crossbar following former Claret Chris Eagles’ mazy run and low cross.

Burnley’s first effort came four minutes later when Danny Ings produced a speculative effort from outside the area; however the striker’s attempt never looked like testing Adam Bogdan.

Seconds later though, the Clarets had a real opportunity to take the lead after Ings’ clever flick sent Scott Arfield bearing down on goal only to volley wide from the edge of the box.

And with nothing to separate the two sides in the first half, Lukas Jutkiewicz almost found himself clean through on goal only for Michael Duff to make an important tackle as the last defender.

However, 20 seconds after the restart Burnley almost grabbed the initiative.

Ings’ good work set up David Jones, who unleashed a powerful left footed strike destined for the bottom corner that Bogdan was equal to with a strong glove.

The unlikely source of left back Ben Mee was next to test Bogdan, playing a neat one two with Jones and firing low at the Bolton ‘keeper.

But it was third time lucky as the Clarets finally broke the deadlock after 58 minutes when Vokes was on target at the back post. 

Arfield was the provider, weaving into the box from the right and delivering a low cross that dissected the six yard box and evaded the Bolton defence, allowing the Welshman to tap home his 16th goal of the season.

Bolton searched for a way back into the game with Eagles looking lively and 10 minutes from time the right winger sent an ambitious half volley flying over the crossbar.

But despite huffing and puffing, the Trotters could not produce the penetration to find an equaliser as Burnley’s defence stood strong to secure their eighth away win of the season.

Burnley: Heaton, Trippier, Mee, Shackell(c), Duff, Kightly (Barnes 86), Marney, Arfield, Jones, Ings, Vokes
Subs: Cisak, Long, Edgar, Stanislas, Wallace, Lafferty

Booked: Shackell 38

Bolton: Bogdan, Baptiste, Ream, Wheater, Mills, Medo (Davies 61), Trotter (Moritz 61, (Danns 72)), Spearing(c), Lee, Eagles, Jutkiewicz
Subs: Lonergan, Knight, White, Pratley

Booked: Wheater 5

Referee: G.Salisbury

Attendance: 16,428 (2,787)

Advertisement block