Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Crewe 1 Burnley Development Squad 9 (NINE)

16 December 2014

Michael Kightly and Marvin Sordell both helped themselves to hat-tricks as a strong Burnley side thumped Crewe Alexandra 9-1 on Tuesday.

Nathan Lowe, Cameron Howieson and Danny Lafferty completed the rout in the Development squad friendly at Alex’s training ground.

Forward Sam Vokes completed another full game in his build-up to match fitness for a long-awaited return from a knee injury.

Goalkeeper Matt Gilks also played the full 90 minutes in goal – saving a penalty – while the back four consisted of Lafferty, Kevin Long, Luke O’Neill and Captain Steven Reid.

Kightly and Ross Wallace started on the wings, with Steven Hewitt and Nathaniel Chalobah in central midfield and Sordell accompanying Vokes in attack.

And it took the experienced Clarets side just seven minutes to take the lead through Kightly, who neatly slotted the ball into the bottom corner from 18-yards after some clever work from Wallace down the right flank.

Five minutes later Crewe had a chance to equalise from the spot after Hewitt was penalised for a foul in the box, but the resulting penalty was wonderfully saved by Gilks low to his left, replicating Tom Heaton’s vital stop against Southampton at the weekend.

A minute later, however, the Railwaymen did get back on level terms through Marcus Haber’s powerful header.

Burnley though restored their lead through Sordell, who cut inside onto his left before nestling his strike into the near corner.

Wallace and Kightly then combined again on the half hour mark with a neat one-two before the latter bent the Clarets third into the top corner.

And Kightly completed his hat-trick seven minutes before the break after a long run from Reid ended with a cross to the former Stoke winger, who made no mistake.

Three minutes after the break the onslaught continued as Sordell bagged his second, pouncing on a goalkeeper’s mistake to tap in Burnley’s fifth into the open goal.

Sordell then went on to seal his hat-trick midway through the second half, smashing past Scott Shearer after Wallace was the provider yet again.

Second half substitute Lowe soon got himself on the scoresheet with a peach from 25-yards past the hapless Shearer.

Danny Lafferty joined in on the act with a wonderful curling effort into the top corner from the corner of the box to score the Clarets eighth.

And Kiwi Howieson completed the scoring a minute later, latching onto Vokes’ superb hold-up play before half-volleying the Clarets ninth 11 minutes from time.

Burnley: Gilks; Reid (Whitmore 79), Long, O’Neill, Lafferty (Conlan 79); Wallace (Hall 66), Chalobah (Lowe 66), Hewitt (Daly 66), Kightly (Howieson 66); Sordell (Gilchrist 79), Vokes.

Unused Sub: Mitchell

Advertisement block