Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Swansea 1 Burnley 0

23 August 2014

Swansea 1 Burnley 0

Burnley proved their Premier League pedigree by pushing Swansea all the way in an agonising defeat in South Wales.

The Clarets made all the running in the second half after former Turf Moor loanee Nathan Dyer had given the hosts the lead midway through the first half.

But after the break David Jones was denied by a superb fingertip save from Lukasz Fabianski and Lukas Jutkiewicz headed just over from a glorious chance as Sean Dyche’s men finally surrendered their unbeaten away record in 2014.

Both sides were unchanged with Burnley naming the same starting eleven from the opening day defeat to Chelsea and new signing Stephen Ward, available for the first time, replacing Cameron Dummigan on the bench.

And with Swansea buoyant following their victory at Old Trafford on the opening day, they wasted no time creating the first meaningful opening.

Wilfred Bony dropped off Michael Duff to meet a right wing cross with a firm header back across Tom Heaton, but skipper Jason Shackell was perfectly placed to head the ball off the line.

But Burnley, making a confident start, hit straight back and after pressing and forcing an error from Jonjo Shelvey, Danny Ings chested down Lukas Jutkiewicz’s neat lay off and volleyed just over the angle.

Ings was soon inches away from returning the compliment as Swans keeper Lukasz Fabianski cut out his cut-back to Jutkiewicz.

But the first meaningful save of note came from Heaton, who fell gratefully onto Gylfi Sigurdsson’s near post flick after wide man Wayne Routledge went on the outside of Kieran Trippier.

Heaton, however, was beaten midway through the half as Dyer was released down the right and advanced to squeeze the ball in at the keeper’s near post.

And the final action of the half was a hammer blow for the Clarets, who had been more than a match for their hosts in the opening 45 minutes.

And it was Burnley who started the second half as they meant to go on, with Jutkiewicz seeing his goalbound effort blocked by Swans skipper Ashley Williams and Scott Arfield volleying over in the box from an Ings’ knock-down.

Swansea were now rattled and just after the hour came the Clarets’ best chance of levelling things up. Patient build up play frustrated the hosts and when Dean Marney picked out Jutkiewicz with a peach of a cross, the former Middlesbrough striker stooped but saw his free header from eight yards clear the crossbar.

The Welshmen’s immediate response brought a double substitution to try and wrestle back the initiative.

But Burnley kept on knocking and it took the faintest of gloves from Fabianski to somehow turn David Jones’ angled effort wide of the post following a quickfire one-two with Ings.

And with Swansea hanging on in the closing stages, Burnley just couldn’t find that all-important chance to take a deserved point back to Turf Moor.

BURNLEY: Heaton, Trippier, Duff, Shackell, Mee, Arfield, Jones (Sordell 90), Marney, M Taylor (Wallace 71), Ings, Jutkiewicz (Barnes 82).

Subs: Gilks, Kightly, Reid, Ward

Booked: Duff 80

SWANSEA: Fabianski, Amat, N Taylor, Sung-Yeung, Williams, Shelvey, Bony (Gomis 64), Dyer (Montero 66), Routledge (Tiendalli 90), Rangel, Sigurdsson.

Subs: Tremmel, Bartley, Richards, Sheehan

Booked: Shelvey 73

Ref: C Pawson

20,565  Att:

Advertisement block