Sean Dyche has reiterated that Burnley remain active In the transfer market ahead of the fast-approaching start to the season.
The Clarets welcome Italian Serie A outfit Hellas Verona to Turf Moor for their final pre-season friendly on Saturday (3pm KO) before hosting Chelsea in their highly-anticipated opening fixture back in the Barclays Premier League in 10 days’ time.
The Burnley manager has added six new faces to his squad this summer, including striker Lukas Jutkiewicz, who scored a brace on his home debut against Celta Vigo on Tuesday night.
However, Dyche insists the club keep working hard to strengthen the team further this month while sticking to the adopted transfer strategy.
The Clarets boss said: “We need more strength in depth, but it doesn’t just come with anyone. There are certain guidelines that have to work with us.
“We have to make sure there’s some quality and talent in a player, but he also has to fit the mentality, drive and belief of the group.
“I think we’ve chosen well so far, but it is only so far.
“We are still active and looking to try and get deals through. We still have some finance available, for sure, but we’ve got to use it wisely.
“There have been some strange situations this year. I thought there were things that would walk over the line and get done very easily, but there were other things that I thought would be a challenge and they got
done pretty quickly.
“There’s no guarantee and no definite reason how any given deal gets done. The only marker that usually gets it done is money and how much you want to throw at it.
“We will put good resource in certain areas and deals, but there is a limit to that resource, whether that’s individual or how much we spent overall.
“The board have made it clear that the club’s future is important, not just the immediate future on the pitch, whilst also finding the balance to make sure we can support and improve the group.”
Dyche has revealed he has found this summer’s transfer dealings a different reality and a new challenge – for the good and the bad.
However, he has remained determined to bring more new players to the club in a bid to build on last season’s success and provide competition within his squad.
The manager added: “It’s a challenge. Sometimes it is enjoyable and intriguing to know what’s out there and what we can and can’t do.
“And sometimes it is annoying because there are things you want to get pushed through, get them over the line and done, but they just keep dragging on and we’ve had that on a few different situations.
“It is what it is. We work hard, trust me, I must have done at least about 500 phone calls over the summer to managers, agents and coaches looking for background on players and their availability.
“And that’s just me, not my staff!
“We keep looking and searching for the right ones, those that are appropriate and can help us enhance our chances of doing well this year.”
Dyche has also admitted he has been looking forward to the opening game of the new Barclays Premier League season.
And while he has already been part of some very special occasions at Turf Moor, he is expecting another sample of a great home atmosphere when Chelsea pay visit to Burnley on 18 August.
The boss said: “We experienced some fantastic games here last season which gave me a real insight to when Turf really is rocking.
“It was never more obvious than right at the end, the Wigan game, but also earlier in the season, the QPR game, when there was a real buzz about the place.
“Of course, it will now be enhanced because it is Premier League football and the media improve and take it forward.
“I have already seen some special occasions and I’ll be intrigued to see this one.”