Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Development Squad: Burnley 1-2 Bury

15 April 2014

Burnley development squad’s Lancashire Senior Cup adventure came to an end on Tuesday night as the young Clarets suffered a 2-1 defeat at the hands of Bury.

Goals from Ashley Grimes and Nathan Cameron were enough to see an experienced Shakers side progress to the final of the competition despite Ntumba Massanka’s late finish resulting in a nervy ending.

Andy Farrell’s side had defeated Oldham and Morecambe to reach the semi-final stage however Bury proved one step too far for Burnley’s young charges.

Micah Evans registered the first attempt on goal for the home side after the winger picked the ball up midway inside the Bury half, dribbled towards goal and pulled a low effort just wide of the near post.

The two Lancashire senior cup semi-finalists then exchanged chances at the quarter of an hour mark when, moments after Steven Hewitt had fired into the side netting, Ben Potter’s long range effort was saved low at the near post by Conor Mitchell.

Burnley then had a chance to work Reice Charles-Cook in the Bury goal after 25 minutes when neat interplay between Luke Gallagher and Jason Gilchrist resulted in the latter volleying wide from inside the area.

It was the visitors, however, that opened the scoring with 34 minutes gone through Grimes’ low drive.

Lewis Young received possession on the left wing before laying the ball into Grimes’ path for the Bury striker to send a low left-footed strike beyond Mitchell’s reach into the bottom left corner.

The Clarets searched for an equaliser towards the end of the half and, although Gallagher registered a shot on target following patient build up play, Burnley trailed 1-0 at the break.

After a fairly uneventful opening to the second half, the Shakers doubled their advantage just before the hour mark.

Cameron got on the end of Lewis Young’s deep corner delivery and the defender’s powerful header from six yards out found the back of the net.

The Clarets looked for an immediate response two minutes later through Steven Hewitt as the young midfielder sent an ambitious shot from range over the bar.

Burnley pulled a goal back after 78 minutes when Massanka, a second half replacement for Bradley Jackson, calmly slotted the ball past Charles-Cook.

Gilchrist had run with purpose at the Bury defence and, after a slip from the defender, Massanka found space on the ball and was composed enough to coolly halve the home sides deficit.

Just five minutes later the young Clarets should have pulled level when Gilchrist squandered a golden chance.

The forward had engineered space with a clever turn in the Bury penalty area but frustratingly dragged his low shot past the far post.

A late long range effort from goalscorer Massanka failed to test Charles-Cook in the visitors goal and Bury held on to progress to the final.

Burnley: Mitchell, Errington, Conlan, Gallagher (Frost, 82), Coleman, Anderson, Evans (Lowe, 82), Howieson, Gilchrist, Hewitt, Jackson (Massanka, 68)

Subs not used: Jankolevs, Daly

Goals: Massanka 78

Bury: Charles-Cook, Poscha, Hinds, Cameron, Potter, Burke, Burgess, Procter, Grimes, Young, Odabeyi

Subs not used: Williams, Bourne, Gibson, Miller

Goals: Grimes 34, Cameron 58

Referee: P. Marsden

Advertisement block