Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Burnley 1 Ipswich 0

26 April 2014

Burnley 1 Ipswich 0

Premier League-bound Burnley recorded their fifteenth home league win of the season as Turf Moor turned up for a promotion party.

Michael Kightly scored in his third consecutive game to hand the Clarets a narrow victory over play-off hopefuls Ipswich Town in the final home game of this remarkable and unforgettable campaign.

Burnley now know they will have averaged at least two points per match this Championship season; a statistic they could still improve upon when they travel to face Reading at the Madejski Stadium next weekend to round off the campaign.

It was a landmark fixture for the Clarets as the players wore special replica shirts commemorating the 100th anniversary of the FA Cup triumph at the Crystal Palace Grounds against Liverpool back on April 25, 1914.

And Sean Dyche made no changes to the starting eleven that clinched promotion back to the Premier League with an ever-to-be-remembered 2-0 victory over Wigan Athletic on Easter Monday.

Meanwhile, the visitors lined up in a similar 4-4-1-1 formation.

Burnley could have taken the lead after just sixty seconds when Danny Ings linked up with Scott Arfield inside the box only for the Scot’s effort to be deflected behind for a corner.

On nine minutes, Daryl Murphy had Ipswich’s first shot of the game, but his attempt was well blocked by Ben Mee.

Shortly afterwards, Kieran Trippier picked out Ings on the shoulder of Christophe Berra. The Clarets number 10 knocked the ball down in the direction of Ashley Barnes who went inches away from applying the final touch from close range.

In response, Jonathan Williams’ tame strike never troubled Tom Heaton in the Burnley goal.

Trippier was involved again on 20 minutes when Barnes controlled a ball over the top from the right-back inside the opposition penalty area. Ipswich managed to clear the danger in the nick of time, though.

Seven minutes later, Trippier had to head the ball nearly off the goal line after Tommy Smith had directed his header from a set piece goalwards.

Arfield could not do the same following Kightly’s cross into the box at the other end as the match reached the half-hour mark.

Barnes had a shot on target minutes later, but the game still did not quite come to life.

And it was the visitors who created the best chance of the first half when Murphy played a one-two with Williams before crossing the ball across the face of goal into the path of Fraser Richardson. The wide man failed to make a good connection at the far post, though.

Moments later, sections of the Burnley crowd thought the Clarets had taken the lead. However, Ings could only hit the side-netting after cutting inside with the ball from the left side of the penalty area.

After the restart, Trippier threw his body in the way of Williams’ shot from just outside the box as the visitors looked for a goal that would keep them in contention for the final play-off spot ahead of the last weekend of the season.

Moments later, it was Burnley who went in front, though.

Barnes combined with Ings who broke into the penalty area and shifted the ball into his left foot to find himself one-on-one with Dean Gerken.

The Ipswich goalkeeper smothered the shot, but by doing so could only present Kightly with a simple tap-in on the follow-up.

On the hour mark, Ings was not far away from doubling the advantage when his left-foot strike whistled wide of the post.

Junior Stanislas came on for his 100th appearance for the Clarets shortly afterwards before Ross Wallace was introduced into the field of play on 71 minutes.

Ings was desperate for a goal himself and it seemed he could not come any closer than when he turned Dean Marney’s ball across the face of goal against the crossbar.

At the other end, Heaton made a great save to deny substitute Paul Taylor from a free-kick and make sure Burnley kept their 21st clean sheet of the season in all competitions.

Moments later, Franck Noublé threatened to equalise, too, but his well-struck effort missed the target.

The Clarets held on to their lead rather comfortably, though, before they were awarded a promotion trophy and medals as the players and management staff waved goodbye to the Turf Moor faithful ahead of the start of the next Premier League season in August.

Burnley: Heaton – Trippier, Duff, Shackell, Mee – Arfield (Wallace 71), Marney, Jones, Kightly (Stanislas 63) – Ings (Treacy 90+3), Barnes.
Subs: Cisak, Long, Baird, Edgar.

Ipswich: Gerken – Chambers, Berra, Smith, Cresswell – Richardson (Noublé 65), Skuse, Green, Hunt (Taylor 66) – Williams, Murphy.
Subs: Loach, Mings, Tabb, Veseli, Marriott.

Goals: Kightly 54

Bookings: Smith, Williams.

Attendance:  14,574 (480)

Advertisement block