Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Burnley 3 Charlton 0

28 September 2013

Burnley 3 Charlton 0

The Danny Ings/Sam Vokes partnership was on song again with three more goals as the Clarets extended their unbeaten run to six wins in seven games.

The deadly duo took their combined total to 16 for the season as Sean Dyche’s men saw off Charlton in a comfortable Turf Moor victory.

Ings made it seven in as many games when he opened the scoring in the 37th minute following excellent approach play from Vokes and yet another assist for Kieran Trippier.

Man of the match Vokes then doubled the lead midway through the second half, finishing off a magnificent team goal with a sensational finish.

And the Welshman capped a stunning performance with his second and Burnley’s third in the closing minutes, thumping home a volley from sub Junior Stanislas’s corner.

Michael Duff returned to the Burnley side to make his 300th appearance for the club against Charlton Athletic.

The 35-year-old was one of four changes to the side that defeated Nottingham Forest in midweek, as Sean Dyche reverted to the team that beat Leeds at Elland Road in the last Championship game a week ago.

But it was a cautious start from the Clarets, who took 12 minutes to carve open their first half chance, as Vokes spun 30 yards out but dragged his shot well wide.

And a dour opening half hour was only illuminated when Vokes quick flick released Ings for a run at goal and shot that was blocked by Michael Morrison on the edge of the Addicks penalty area.

Immediately though, Burnley found their rhythm again and following a delightful link up between Vokes and Arfield, Trippier’s trademark whipped cross from the right was glanced just wide of the far post by Vokes.

But the opening goal finally arrived to calm the home side eight minutes before the break. 

Vokes cushioned a header perfectly into the path of Trippier and his first time cross was inch-perfect for Ings to nonchalantly flick home from six yards.

Charlton replaced Bradley Pritchard with Callum Harriott at the break, and the substitute fired a warning shot just over Heaton’s goal with the first real action of the second half.

But it was the Clarets who continued to press and, with right back Lawrie Wilson booked, Sean Dyche introduced the fresh legs of Junior Stanislas for Michael Kightly on the hour.

And the winger was soon involved as the crucial second goal arrived soon after.

Burnley tore through Charlton as Stanislas fed |Arfield, who in turn fed the ball into the path of Dean Marney.

Then midfielder’s slide rule pass in turn sent Vokes clear on the left side of the penalty area and the striker showed real composure to coolly chip the ball over the advancing keeper and into the far corner.

It was a wonderful goal worthy of sealing any game and sealed the Clarets rise back into second place in the league table.

Marney’s joy was soon tempered as he picked up a fifth booking of the season for a late lunge on Rhoys Wiggins, which rules him out of Tuesday’s trip to Doncaster.

Ings came close to putting the icing on a near-perfect day for the Clarets 10 minutes from time, meeting Arfield’s wicked cross with a header that smacked off the face of Ben Hamer’s crossbar following another eye-catching move down the left.

But Vokes was left to seal the win with a stunning volley from Stanislas’s outswinging corner as Dyche’s men celebrated another good day at the office.

BURNLEY: Heaton, Trippier, Duff, Shackell, Mee, Arfield (Treacy 85), Jones (Edgar  90), Marney, Kightly (Stanislas 60), Vokes, Ings,
Subs: Cisak, Lafferty, O’Neill, Stock.

Booked: Marney 73

CHARLTON: Hamer, Morrison, Dervite, Stephens, Church, Pritchard (Harriott 46), Wiggins, Wilson, Cousins, Gower, Stewart (Kermorgant 83).
Subs: Alnwick, Evina, Sordell, Wood, Hughes

Booked: Wilson 49

REF: D Coote

Advertisement block