Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Burnley 2 Forest 1

24 September 2013

Burnley 2 Forest 1

DANNY Ings was again at the double as Burnley came from behind to chop down Forest and reach the last 16 of the Capital One Cup.

The Clarets trailed to Matt Derbyshire’s opportunist strike before Ings continued his record of scoring in every round a minute before the break with a special half volley on the turn.

And the in-form striker grabbed his second successive Turf Moor brace midway through the second half with a superb header to take his personal tally to nine for the season.

And that proved enough to put Sean Dyche’s men into Wednesday’s draw, where a potentially lucrative draw could await the Clarets.

Dyche made four changes from the side that beat Leeds United on Saturday at Elland Road. 

David Edgar replaced the injured David Jones, while Junior Stanislas and Keith Treacy stepped in for wide men Michael Kightly and Scott Arfield and central defender Kevin Long replaced the rested Michael Duff, who was forced to wait for his 300th Clarets' appearance.

But it was the much-changed visitors who settled the quicker of the two sides.

Forest boss Billy Davies had replaced the entire starting 11 from their weekend draw at Doncaster.

And the Reds began patiently, spreading the ball about without causing any real flutters in the Clarets defence.

Dexter Blackstock might have done better with a free header in the 19th minute that he nodded back across the area, when going for goal might have been the better option.

And Simon Gillett bobbled a volley wide of Tom Heaton’s far post from a free kick lobbed behind the Clarets defence.

But Forest finally grabbed the lead in the 23rd minute. Jamie Paterson’s trickery allowed him to cut in from the by-line and cross for Dexter Blackstock, who completely fluffed his lines at the near post. 
However, Derbyshire was perfectly placed to hammer home the loose ball from point-blank range.

It was only the second time this season the Clarets had conceded the first goal in a game – and their response was immediate.

Ings combined with Treacy before picking out Stanislas at the far post for a firm header that Forest keeper Dorius De Vries comfortably parried around the post.

And when De Vries went walkabout as he hunted down Treacy’s floated free kick on the half hour, he got lucky as Vokes’ glancing header flew agonisingly wide of the empty net.

With Brian Stock on for the injured Dean Marney, Ings soon went down following a heavy challenge.

However, the striker was soon on his feet again and, after seeing his attempted diagonal to Stanislas cut out by Vokes, he pounced and charged into the box, only to be denied by a perfectly timed tackle from Jamaal Lascelles.

But as the half drew to a close, Ings was centre stage with a quite fabulous equaliser.

Kieran Trippier saw his attempted cross deflected high into the night sky, and when Ings controlled the looping ball on the edge of the box, he swivelled in an instant and found the top corner with a stunning right-footed half-volley.

The second half was a far more even affair to start with, as both sides threatened on the break.

But it was the hour mark before either side really threatened - and it was the Clarets who came close to the crucial third goal 

Stanislas collected the ball just inside the Forest half and drove at the defence, forcing a fine diving save from De Vries with an attempted curler into the bottom corner.

And De Vries did well again to get just enough on Treacy’s low skidder after the Clarets winger ghosted on the outside of the left back.

The turning point of the game though came at the three-quarter mark, as Trippier’s poor back header sent Derbyshire in the clear.

However, with an advancing Heaton stranded, there was a huge let off as the former Blackburn striker lobbed the ball over a gaping goal from the edge of the box.

And how Burnley immediately made Forest pay!

Within a minute Stanislas whipped in a vicious free kick from wide on the left and Ings got across his marker to flick a magnificent header over De Vries and into the far post.

Treacy was inches away from a third with an audacious curler from the corner of the box as Burnley looked to finally put the game beyond Forest.

The tie was still far from over though, and Reds sub Ishmael Miller forced a superb flying save from Heaton with a fierce, rising drive from the edge of the box.

But Burnley survived without any more scares to ensure their six-month unbeaten run at Turf Moor continued unabated.

Burnley: Heaton, Trippier, Long, Shackell, Mee, Treacy (Arfield 84), Edgar, Marney (Stock 34), Stanislas, Ings, Vokes (Kightly 88)
Subs: Cisak, Lafferty, O'Neil, Noble

Booked: Stanislas 90

Nottingham Forest: De Vries, Harding, Gillett, Collins, Moussi (Cohen 65), Lascelles, Jara Reyes, Paterson, Blackstock (Cox 65), Derbyshire, Majewski (Miller 74)
Subs: Al-Rashidi, Halford, Tudgay, Abdoun

Booked: Moussi 30, Lascelles 49

Ref: D Drysdale

Att: 6,405 (519)

Advertisement block