Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Ipswich 0 Burnley 1

19 October 2013

Ipswich 0 Burnley 1

Scott Arfield’s late header kept Burnley top of the Championship and sealed the club’s best start to a league season since 1897.

The Scot raced in to meet Kieran Trippier’s wicked cross 10 minutes from time to settle a tight contest and make it six straight league wins for Sean Dyche’s classy Clarets.

Portman Road had not been a happy hunting ground for Burnley, whose only win in history in Suffolk came back in 1970.

But as history was rewritten, a fourth straight away win always looked likely when Arfield’s fourth goal of the season came late in a game that saw skipper Jason Shackell marshal a watertight defence magnificently in a game of precious few chances.

The Clarets were unchanged from the side that defeated Reading in the last outing two weeks ago.

But the hosts, who had won four of their five home games, started well, with dangerman David McGoldrick forcing an early block from Shackell as he shaped to shoot from a tight angle.

Town were enjoying plenty of possession in the early stages, as they looked to find targetman Daryl Murphy at every opportunity and force the Clarets onto the back foot.

The visitors carved out their first half chance midway through the half. 

Michael Kightly has swapped flanks with Arfield, and drove forward from the right to feed the Scot, who scuffed his shot from 18 yards.

And when Trippier swung over a trademark cross just before the half hour, a marginally offside Vokes flashed over a volley following a flick from Ings.

Town didn’t heed the warning, however, and minutes later Dean Marney released Trippier again with a fabulous through ball.

This time the right back went for power with the cross and both Ings and Vokes saw the ball flash across the face of goal, with Ings claiming in vain that a push denied him a goalscoring opportunity.

That incident led to Town keeper Dean Gerken picking up a knock. And seven minutes before the break he made way for Scott Loach.

But what had been a scrappy half exploded into life in the final 60 seconds as Town had two great chances to open the scoring through Cole Skuse.

The first came when Heaton failed to get anything on a punch and the England U21 midfielder saw his fierce shot blocked on the line by Trippier.

And seconds later, Skuse took aim from 25 yards and drilled a rising drive inches wide of the left hand post with Heaton at full stretch.

Burnley had a great chance to make their mark within six minutes of the restart as Vokes was put clear.

But as he delayed his shot, defender Luke Chambers just did enough to deny the Welshman a shot at goal.

Just before the hour mark, Burnley felt aggrieved after Marney, chasing a ball to the by-line in the penalty area, was sent careering into the hoardings behind the goal following a nudge in the back.

And with the Clarets midfielder still receiving treatment 100 yards away, Town were a whisker away from breaking the deadlock at the other end as Anderson fired just wide.

With the game now opening up, Kightly cut inside from the left flank and forced Loach into a routine save.

But with time running out and a stalemate looking likely, the crucial goal finally arrived as Trippier raced on to Jones’ cushioned header and delivered a cross that Arfield met with a flick header that nestled just inside the far post.

Ings flashed a shot just over the angle as the signal went up for three extra minutes.

But there were to be no more scares for the Clarets, who remain top of the league as this magnificent start to the season continues unabated.

BURNLEY: Heaton, Trippier, Duff, Shackell, Mee, Arfield, Marney (Edgar 88), Jones, Kightly (Treacy 82), Vokes, Ings.
Subs: Cisak, Lafferty, Stock, Long, Stanislas

IPSWICH: Gerken (Loach 38), Chambers, Berra, Smith, Cresswell, Anderson (Tabb 86), Hyam (Nouble 85), Skuse, Tunnicliffe, Murphy, McGoldrick
Subs: Hewitt, Mings, Edwards, Marriott

REF: G Scott

Att: 16,062 (670)  

Advertisement block