Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Burnley 2 QPR 0

26 October 2013

Burnley 2 QPR 0

DANNY Ings sent Burnley soaring three points clear at the top of the Championship with a stunning second half strike and a deadly penalty.

Ings struck his 12th goal of the campaign just after the hour mark, combining with strike partner Sam Vokes for the 20th goal of their prolific partnership.

It was no unlucky 13th for the England U21 striker either as he coolly stroked home a clinical spot kick two minutes from time after being upended in the box by Joey Barton.

And with the Clarets defence keeping former striker Charlie Austin under lock and key, a magnificent seventh straight league victory against previously unbeaten Rangers put daylight between the Clarets and their Championship rivals,

Sean Dyche made one change, with Keith Treacy replacing Scott Arfield, who picked up an untimely groin strain in training on Friday.

But it was the visitors who made the better start. 

Rangers enjoyed plenty of possession and in the sixth minute Karl Henry met a cut back and forced Tom Heaton to block his drilled effort on the line.

It was Treacy who got the Clarets on the front foot minutes later, with a 60-yard run that was only ended with a last ditch challenge as he charged into the Rangers box.

Rangers then almost gifted Burnley the lead when, from Green’s shot goal kick, Henry directed the ball directly into the path of Danny Ings, who was only denied when Geeen dived at his feet,

And as the Clarets built up a head of steam, Kieran Trippier forced Green into an error with a fierce 30 yard free kick that the former England goalkeeper fumbled and was thankful for a clearing header over his own goal from Richard Dunne.

It was quickly becoming an absorbing contest, with Burnley mixing it well with the Londoners.

And a flurry of cards only added to the electric atmosphere, with Joey Barton, David Jones, Karl Henry and Richard Dunne all going into the book for blatant fouls.

Treacy soon followed as the half turned scrappy, with only a Joey Barton drive from distance threatening the opening goal ahead of the break.

Burnley were out first for the restart, and straight on the front foot as Michael Kightly cut in side form the left and saw his low drive deflected wide

And when Trippier dumped the ball deep into the Rangers box 10 minutes into the half, panic spread as Vokes got to it first.

His cushioned header fell perfectly for the inrushing Dean Marney, who was only denied by a last-gasp Assou-Ekotto toe-poke.

But the Clarets were not to be denied - and in the 66th minute Turf Moor erupted. 

Ings fed Vokes and sprinted into the space, where his Welsh strike partner delivered a terrific reverse pass.

That was all Ings needed and after taking a touch to compose himself, he beat Green with a sensational finish.

Rangers responded and immediately carved out their best opening of the day, but thankfully for Burnley it was the centre backs who combined.

Clint Hill rose to head a deep free kick square across the six-yard box for Richard Dunne, who skied his first time attempt.

But battling Burnley were a whisker away from doubling the lead in the 75th minute when Treacy whipped a ball into the corroder of uncertainty and Ings, at full stretch, just failed to get a connection.

But the game was up for Rangers in the 88th minute when Barton upended Ings in the area and the Clarets striker dusted himself down to send Green the wrong way.

What a day!

BURNLEY: Heaton, Mee, Duff, Shackell, Trippier, Treacy (Stock 93), Marney (Edgar 84), Jones, Kightly, Vokes, Ings.
Subs: Cisak, Lafferty, Noble, Stanislas, Long

Booked: Jones 33, Treacy 44

QPR: Green, Simpson, Dunne, Hill, Barton, Kranjcar (Phillips 73), Henry (Jenas 68), Hoilett, O’Neill (Chevanton 73), Assou-Ekotto, Austin
Subs; Traore, Onyewu, Murphy, Faurlin

Booked: Barton 26, Hoilett 37, Dunne 39, Simpson 77

Ref: A Haines

Att: 16,047 (1,326)

Advertisement block