Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Burnley v Hull City

11 March 2013


Hull ended their claret and blue hoodoo as Stephen Quinn drilled home a second half winner to sink the below-par Burnley.

The Clarets had won the last seven meetings between the two sides.

But an eight never looked likely in a game of precious few chances, settled by Quinn’s stunning low drive past Lee Grant midway through the second half, which lifted the Tigers back into an automatic promotion spot.

Burnley made five changes to the starting line-up, with Ben Mee and Michael Duff returning in defence and fit-again Ross Wallace, Chris McCann and Keith Treacy restored to the starting 11.

Kevin Long, Danny Lafferty, Marvin Bartley and Martin Paterson dropped to the bench, while Junior Stanislas failed to make the cut.

In icy temperatures at Turf Moor the Clarets started brightly, with Treacy firing over in the fifth minute after dancing in from the right wing and trying his luck from distance.

And from a half-cleared corner minutes later, on-loan Alex Kacaniklic might have done better with a drive from the edge of the area that flew wide.

The Clarets’ patient passing game was in evidence against a Hull side defeated in their last seven meetings and set up to keep things tight in the early stages.

But Wallace almost provided the catalyst 18 minutes in when he picked up a loose ball and let fly from 30 yards with a rising drive that Tigers’ goalkeeper David Stockdale was happy to parry for a corner.

Hull had been happy to assess Burnley’s strengths in the opening half hour before creating their first opening.

Recent signing George Boyd was picked out by a peach of a pass, but his angled effort was deflected wide via the foot of covering defender Michael Duff.

And as Hull enjoyed much more possession in the later stages of the half, Alex Bruce, son of manager Steve, should have done better with a volley from the edge of the box that flew high, wide and not so handsome.

Neither manager made changes at the break – and it was the visitors who had the first opportunity of the second half as the lively Boyd found space on the left side of the box to force Grant into a comfortable save.

Almost immediately, Sean Dyche changed the system as Sam Vokes replaced Treacy, with Wallace dropping to the right wing.

And the Welsh striker almost had an immediate impact as he met Charlie Austin’s outswinging right wing cross to flick a header just wide of the far post.

Marvin Bartley soon entered the fray, replacing his midfield partner for the two previous games, David Edgar.

Hull replied with a double substitution of their own as Gedo and Bruce made way for Jay Simpson and Robert Koren.

And the move paid instant dividends in the 66th minute as Koren and Simpson combined to tee up Stephen Quinn, who rifled City into the lead with a magnificent finish from the edge of the box.

Burnley tried to respond, with Vokes seeing his vicious drive from the edge of the box deflected over and Kieran Trippier blasting the resulting half-cleared corner over the bar.

But even the late introduction of Danny Ings couldn’t lift the Clarets, whose miserable home run continued when Austin headed wide deep into stoppage time from Vokes' cross.

BURNLEY: Grant, Mee, Duff, Shackell, Trippier, Edgar (Bartley 64), McCann, Treacy (Vokes 54), Kaciniklic, Wallace (Ings 84), Austin. Subs: Jensen, Paterson, Lafferty, Long

HULL: Stockdale, Chester, Hobbs, McShane, Gedo (Simpson 64), Elmohamady, Bruce (Koren 64), Quinn, Brady, Meyler, Boyd. Subs: Jakupovic, Rosenior, Fathy, Faye, Proschwitz

Ref: E Ilderton

Att: 10,450 (356 Hull)

Advertisement block