Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Carlisle Utd 1 Burnley 4

20 July 2013

Clarets cruise to victory in Cumbria

DANNY Ings continued his pre-season prowess as the Clarets slipped into cruise control at Carlisle.

Striker Ings followed up his classy strike in Cork with a quickfire double after Ross Wallace opened the scoring, as Burnley tore into a three-goal lead inside 22 minutes at Brunton Park.

And after Tom Heaton saved a second half penalty, Junior Stanislas added a classy fourth ahead of a United consolation as Sean Dyche’s men warmed up for the new season in style.

Burnley welcomed back David Edgar, whose busy summer saw him become a father for the first time and then compete for Canada in their Gold Cup campaign.

The defender was joined on the bench by new signings Scott Arfield and Ryan Noble, with Steven Hewitt and Alex Coleman also again linking up with the first team squad.

And from the kick off the Clarets immediately imposed their authority, with Dean Marney stunned in disbelief as early as the third minute when his charging run into the box was unceremoniously halted by Reece James ill-timed tackle, only for the referee to wave play on.

However, the visitors only had to wait until the sixth minute to take the lead, when Charlie Austin’s cut back was thumped home from 12 yards by the unmarked and inrushing Wallace.

Tom Heaton had been a virtual bystander in the opening half of last week’s comprehensive 3-0 victory in Cork. But the former Bristol City stopper made a fine save from Lee Miller’s firm header as the Cumbrians sought an immediate response.

Burnley though were in total control with only 11 minutes on the clock. Marney picked out Ings’ run with a slide-rule pass inside both centre back and right back and the Clarets striker - on target in Ireland - showed ice-cool composure to slot the ball under advancing keeper Mark Gillespie and double the lead.

The third almost arrived with just over a quarter of an hour gone as Stanislas – fouled as he cut inside 30 yards from goal – curled the resulting free kick off the face of the right hand post with the keeper beaten.

But again there wasn’t long to wait as Burnley once again sprung from defence to further extend their lead. 

Marney was again the architect, this time with a perfectly flighted ball from the right flank that Ings controlled and slammed home off the right hand post with aplomb.

United had been floored by Burnley’s whirlwind start, but Josh Gillies was inches away from giving the hosts hope with a dipping free kick that had Heaton worried before it flashed by the post.

And when Heaton was finally beaten - by former Liverpool wide man David Amoo’s angled effort on the half hour - the foot of the post came to the keeper’s rescue to maintain the three-goal lead at the break.

Within a minute of the re-start, there was a golden chance for Ings to complete his hat-trick as he was sent clear in the left channel by Stanislas,

But with the keeper advancing, the Clarets striker went for the chip and clipped his shot high over the gaping goal.

And with 50 minutes on the clock, Carlisle had a chance to reduce the arrears from the penalty spot after Marney upended Miller in the box. However, Heaton was equal to the striker’s well-struck spot kick, diving away to his right to make a terrific save.

Gillespie in the United goal showed his worth with a fine save from Stanislas just before the hour mark.

But the Clarets wide man had his revenge form Wallace’s resulting deep corner, clipping the ball home with a delightful chip for Burnley’s fourth.

Immediately from the kick off, Carlisle sub Lewis Guy drilled home a consolation for the League One side.

Heaton twice saved well from long-range Amoo strikes as United briefly rallied late on.

But as the usual flurry of substitutions finally broke the flow of an entertaining game, it was Dyche who would have been the happier of the two managers as Burnley’s pre-season slipped into overdrive.

BURNLEY:  Heaton, O’Neill (Coleman 87), Duff (Long 57), Shackell, Lafferty, Wallace (Treacy 64), Jones (Arfield 64), Marney (Stock 64), Stanislas (Mills 76), Ings (Noble 78), Austin (Vokes 68). 
Subs: Cisak, Hewitt, Edgar.

CARLISLE (starting): Gillespie, Potts, James, Edwards, Thirlwell, Amoo, Miller, Gillies, Robson, Berrett. Subs: Lynch, Thompson, Symington, Guy, Beck, Dempsey, Salmon, Brass

Advertisement block