Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

FA Youth Cup: Burnley 0 Man Utd 2

16 December 2013

Two stunning second half goals eased United past the Clarets in a thrilling FA Youth Cup tie Turf Moor.

A beauty from Andreas Pereira on the hour broke Burnley hearts after Terry Pashley’s dominant youngsters looked capable of repeating last year’s stunning Old Trafford success.

And James Wilson’s sublime 40-yard solo effort 17 minutes from time was equally as eye-catching as the Clarets exited the competition at the first hurdle, but with heads held high in front of almost 1,500 fans.

Burnley started well against the 10-time winners and quickly forced United onto the back foot.

And in the sixth minute they were unlucky not to be ahead following a training ground corner.

A rehearsed dummy allowed Luke Daly the opportunity to let fly from outside the box, and only a clearance from Joshua Harrop on the post denied the Clarets midfielder.

A minute later, Jamie Frost weaved his way through the Reds’ back line and tested Joel Pereira with a firm drive.

And with the Clarets dominating the half, they should have been ahead following the best move of the half on the stroke of half time.

Winger Brad Jackson, who was enjoying a terrific half, released right back Cameron Dummigan behind the Reds’ full back and from the Irish defender’s cross, Khius Metz drove over the angle from the near post.

The Clarets were back on top straight from the restart, and another sweeping move in the 49th minute saw Aussie Kevin Ly play a clever give-and-go and force Pereira into a fine save.

And from the clearance, centre back Alex Whitmore again tested the Portuguese keeper with a drive from fully 40 yards.

Pashley would have been absolutely thrilled with his team’s positive showing.

But Reds’ striker Wilson signalled intent of what was to come when he raced into the Clarets box and drove just wide after 53 minutes.

Undeterred, Metz went even closer moments later with a curling effort from outside the area that flew agonisingly just over the angle.

And as the hosts pressed for the all-important breakthrough, Christian Hill darted into the area and picked out the unmarked Frost, who screwed his shot wide from 12 yards.

However, against the run of play cometh the hour cometh United’s saviour, as Pereira unleashed an unstoppable 25-yard drive to make the all-important breakthrough.

The Belgian striker was given too much room on the right, but nobody could have expected his scorching, curling right-foot shot, which deceived Conor Mitchell and flew across the young Irish keeper, giving him absolutely no chance.

If that was good, United’s second 13 minutes later was perhaps even better!

Wilson picked up the ball near the half way line with a sea of bodies in front of him and turned on the jet-burners to leave the entire defence in his wake.

And even the towering presence of Mitchell in goal failed to deny the England U18 striker, who strode around the last man to drill home from a tightening angle.

Burnley might have had a route back when Frost appeared to have been fouled by Evans as he sprinted clear in the box, but referee Mr Neild was unimpressed and waved play-on.

When Forest tried to exact revenge with virtually the Clarets last throw of the dice, keeper Pereira was equal to his low effort.

And when Pereira somehow kept out Jackson’s effort from point-blank range with the last kick of the game, it summed up Burnley’s night!

Burnley: 1 Mitchell, 2 Dummigan, 3 Azam, 4 Daly, 5 Richardson, 6 Whitmore, 7 Jackson, 8 Ly (Lowe 76), 9 Metz (Massanka 72), 10 Frost, 11 Hill.
Subs: Jakovlevs, Holt, Galvin

Man Utd: 1 J Pereira, 2 Janko, 3 Barber, 4 Evans, 5 McConnell, 6 Goss, 7 Harrop, 8 Willock, 9 Wilson, 10 A Pereira, 11 Redmond (Fletcher 66).
Subs: Henderson, Mitchell, Borthwick-Jackson, Rashford.

Booked: Harrop 63

Ref Mr T Neild 

Att: 1,489

Advertisement block