Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Burnley Preston

27 August 2013

Burnley 2 Preston NE 0

Burnley earned the local bragging rights as they eased past Lancashire rivals Preston in the Capital One Cup.

Right back Kieran Trippier’s fifth minute free kick lit the fuse on a barnstorming cup tie before Danny Ings’ fourth goal of the season just after the half hour gave Burnley breathing space.

Goalkeeper Alex Cisak, deputising for the suspended Tom Heaton, helped preserve that lead as North End rallied, making two agile saves in each half to deny Bailey Wright and Joel Byrom.

And when Cisak was finally beaten, Jason Shackell’s goal line clearance was clear evidence this was not to be North End’s night, as Burnley went into the hat for Wednesday’s third round draw.

Burnley made three outfield changes for the Turf Moor tie, which saw the experiment of lower tiers of the home stands only open to try and encourage a better atmosphere for the players.

Ben Mee and Michael Duff both made their first starts of the season in defence, with Danny Lafferty and Kevin Long making way.

And in midfield David Edgar started, with Dean Marney dropping to the bench.

In the second minute, there was warm applause in support of stricken former Clarets and Lilywhites defender Gary Parkinson, who continues to battle back from a stroke he suffered in 2010.

Applause for 'Parky'

So it was entirely fitting that just three minutes later, the current incumbent of the Clarets number two shirt should put the hosts ahead.

Sam Vokes was tripped as he tried to turn 30 yards from goal and Trippier’s wicked, dipping free kick totally deceived Stuckmann in the North End goal, who could only stick out a leg and deflect the ball high into the net.

Five minutes later, the Clarets came close to doubling the advantage when Trippier delivered a trademark deep cross from the right that Vokes headed over at full stretch at the far post.

And as the early assault continued, Edgar’s firm header from Keith Treacy’s corner was headed off the line.

Finally, Preston weathered the storm to gain a foothold and North End’s Stuart Beavon forced a neat save from Alex Cisak at his near post after weaving into the area.

And from the resulting corner, Tom Clarke rose highest to plant a header just wide of goal with Cisak scrambling to cover.

However, the crucial second goal in the 32nd minute stopped the promise of a fightback dead in its tracks.

David Jones fed Vokes 30 yards from goal before Ings took control. And with the aid of a fortuitous bounce the striker weaved through the central defenders to plant a low shot into the bottom corner.

And Cisak confidently preserved that lead at the half way mark with another smart save eight minutes before the break, diving to his right to parry away Bailey Wright’s header.

North End knocked on the door again straight from the restart, as Iain Hume nodded down for Beavon, whose flick header was cleared off the line by Jason Shackell.

And moments later, Cisak was relieved to see Joel Byrom’s drive from distance fizz just wide of his left hand post.

In the 55th minute Byrom got his angles right from an arcing 30-yard free kick, but this time Cisak was equal to the dipping ball and tipped it safely over for a corner.

But as the visitors pressed the threat was always there on the break and Ings might have wrapped things up when he tried to walk the ball around Stuckmann on the hour, only to be denied by the German.

Michael Duff volleyed over from a half-cleared corner before North End went for broke, replacing Lee Holmes and Hume with Nicky Wroe and Kevin Davies.

But by now North End’s threat had diminished and the Clarets comfortable ran down the clock without any further danger to wrap up a deserved, but hard-fought victory.

BURNLEY: Cisak, Trippier, Shackell, Duff, Mee, Arfield, Edgar, Jones (Stock 81), Treacy (Marney 66), Ings (Stanislas 84), Vokes.
Subs: Liversedge, Long, Lafferty, Noble

Booked: Trippier 66, Shackell 80

PRESTON: Stuckmann, Keane, Laird, Huntington, Clarke, Wright, Humphrey, Beavon (Garner 89), Holmes (Wroe 73), Byrom, Hume (Davies 73).
Subs: Rudd, Buchanan, Welsh, Mousinho

REF: P Tierney

Att: 10,648 (2,920)

Advertisement block