Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Burnley v Nottingham Forest

1 April 2013

Burnley 1 Nottingham Forest 1

A controversial penalty with the very last kick of the game and seven minutes into stoppage time cruelly denied Burnley victory against play-off chasing Forest.

The Clarets looked to have ended Forest boss Billy Davies’s unbeaten return to the City Ground after Junior Stanislas fired home in the 68th minute.

But more than six minutes into the allotted five added-on minutes, Kevin Long was ruled to have tripped Henri Lansbury in the box.

And after referee Nigel Miller, who had incensed both teams throughout the afternoon, pointed to the spot, Lewis McGugan made no mistake in the 97th minute to somehow salvage a point.
Burnley made three changes to the side that drew 1-1 at Watford three days earlier.

Sam Vokes was rewarded for his last minute equaliser at Vicarage Road with a start in preference to Danny Ings.

Elsewhere, Danny Lafferty and Alex Kacaniklic made way for Ben Mee and Stanislas respectively.

Forest made six changes to the team that also picked up a point at home to Brighton on Saturday.

And the visitors made the brighter start, almost taking the lead in the fourth minute.
Playmaker Lewis McGugan raided the right flank and from his cross Billy Sharp rose highest, but was denied by a great tip over from Lee Grant.


Burnley were on the back foot in the early exchanges, but a delightful ball with the outside of the foot by Wallace in the 11th minute released Austin, who fired well over the angle rather than pick out Vokes’ intelligent far post run.

And soon after, from Wallace’s outswinging left wing corner, Ben Mee just failed to get a clean contact as Reds’ keeper Kartl Darlow gathered on his goal line.

And in the 25th minute Darlow was again in the right place to keep the Clarets at bay.

Mee’s incisive slide-rule pass down the left sent Stanislas scampering clear in the box, but his curling effort to the far post was superbly parried for a corner.

Not to be outdone, Grant was thrust into action himself just after the half hour in the final meaningful moment of the half, stretching low to his left to glove McGugan’s long-range fizzer to safety.

The game was finely balanced as the second half followed a similar pattern.

But on the hour mark the injury curse that has followed Mee all season seemingly struck again, with the left back limping off and replaced by Joseph Mills, making his first appearance of the calendar year.

And Mills would play a vital role as the Clarets finally opened the scoring in the 68th minute.

Stanislas started the move with a driving run and ball out to the replacement left back, whose cross evaded both Vokes and Austin.

However, Stanislas had eaten up the ground to control and fire gleefully past Darlow with the aid of a deflection.

It then took a brave piece of defending by Mills to deny Forest an equaliser as Henri Lansbury stole in at the far post to meet a left wing cross, only for the Clarets defender to somehow reach the ball first with Grant scrambling across goal.

And the omnipresent Mills was immediately in the thick of the action again at the other end, driving forwards and worrying Darlow with a rising drive that was just too high.

Forest, who replaced their front two as they desperately chased the game, came close again in the 88th minute as Greg Halford’s looping header was turned over by Grant.

And well after the five added on minutes had expired came the controversial moment that denied the Clarets victory.


BURNLEY: Grant, Mee (Mills 60), Shackell, Long, Trippier, Wallace  (Ings 72), McCann, Bartley, Stanislas (Edgar 90), Vokes, Austin.
Subs: Jensen, Paterson, Kacaniklic, Stock

Booked: Wallace 27, Mills 82

FOREST: Darlow, Moussi, Cohen, McGugan, Reid (Majewski 77), Halford, Lansbury, Blackstock (Henderson 74), Sharp (Cox 74), Ward, Jara.
Subs: Harding, Collins, Greening, Ectimov.

Booked: Lansbury 65

Ref: N Miller

Att: 13,618

Advertisement block