Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Burnley Cardiff

20 April 2013

Burnley 1 Cardiff City 1

It was party time at Turf Moor as David Edgar’s dramatic stoppage time header earned the Clarets a crucial point as Cardiff celebrated the title.
Craig Conway’s first half strike looked to be enough to win it for the league leaders, who knew a point would suffice to be crowned champions.

But Burnley, coming off the back of successive 1-0 defeats, dug deep following a disappointing first half to level things up in the first minute of injury time, when second half sub Edgar nodded home Kieran Trippier’s cross to mass relief around Turf Moor.

Burnley made three changes, with Danny Lafferty replacing the injured Ben Mee, Junior Stanislas in for Alex Kacaniklic and Danny Ings preferred to Martin Paterson.

But it was the visitors - buoyed by Hull’s draw on Friday night that, barring a mathematical miracle already landed them the title - who made the brighter start

Rudy Gestede fired a warning shot across the Burnley bows as early as the second minute with a flashing volley from distance that dipped just too late.

Seventeen minutes in there was another scare when Conway, in acres of space on Cardiff’s left, cut in and saw his deflected cross palmed over the bar by Lee Grant.

Minutes later, Kim Bo-Kyung saw his shot from distance fly just wide of Grant’s right hand post. And the South Korean then incurred the wrath of Burnley fans with a blatant dive to try and win a penalty after robbing Junior Stanislas of possession on the edge of the box.

But the goal that Cardiff had been threatening finally arrived in the 27th minute as Conway took Kim’s threaded pass in his stride, took a touch to set himself and coolly curled the ball past Grant from 20 yards.

Burnley struggled to get any forward momentum in the opening half, with Stanislas firing wide from their only half chance of note.

And Conway was close to doubling the Bluebirds’ lead four minutes from half time, taking the omnipresent Kim’s cut back in his path and curling over the angle from 18 yards.

Sean Dyche made a double substitution at half time, replacing wide men Stanislas and Ross Wallace with Paterson and Edgar.

That meant a change of formation, with Edgar sitting in front of the back four and Paterson and Ings wide of Vokes.

And immediately Paterson was involved on the edge of the City box, turning and firing the ball goalwards, where Vokes could only direct his header over David Marshall’s crossbar.

The Clarets were now enjoying more possession against the visitors, who knew their slender lead represented a rubber-stamping of the title.

But still they could not penetrate the joint-meanest defence in the league, marshalled superbly by towering centre back Ben Turner.

Burnley must have thought it was not to be their day when, five minutes from time, Marshall made a magnificent save minute to keep out Ings’ goalbound effort.

But after the four minutes of added on time had been signalled, Trippier’s long throw was headed back to the right back and his delightful cross was met by Edgar’s firm downward header to earn a valuable point.

BURNLEY: Grant, Lafferty, Long, Shackell, Trippier, Wallace (Edgar 46), McCann, Marney (Treacy84), Stanislas (Paterson 46), Vokes, Ings.
Subs: Jensen, Bartley, O’Neill, Stock

Booked: Trippier 39, Marney 76

CARDIFF: Marshall, McNaughton, Taylor, Turner, Conway, Bo-Kyung, Gestede, Noone (Bellamy 67), Gunnarsson, Mutch (Cowie 74), Barnett.
Subs: Whittingham, Mason, Lappin, Nugent, Lewis

Ref: S Attwell

Att: 13,264 (1,613)

Advertisement block