Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Blackpool Burnley

13 April 2013

Blackpool 1 Burnley 0

A second half wonder strike from Ludovic Silvestre settled a scrappy Lancashire derby at Bloomfield Road.

The Frenchman unleashed an unstoppable 25-yard effort early in the second half to take Pool above the Clarets in the Championship table.

In a game of precious few chances, Junior Stanislas struck the post with a fierce first half effort.

Pool also had Matt Gilks to thank after the goalkeeper pulled off a magnificent first half save from Ross Wallace.

And despite late pressure after going behind, the Clarets couldn’t turn their late possession into an equaliser as the hosts avenged their Turf Moor defeat from earlier in the season.

Clarets boss Sean Dyche welcomed back Ben Mee for the seaside clash.

Mee, fully fit again following a knee injury, was the only change to the side that beat Bristol City last weekend. 

And immediately Mee found himself weathering an early storm as Blackpool tore into Burnley down the left.

Former Clarets loanee Nathan Delfouneso had already been left red-faced by the badly rutted surface with a fresh-air shot in the six yard box before Burnley had another let off.

Kirk Broadfoot found himself with plenty of room as he cut inside Mee, but his curling effort across Grant flashed just wide.

However, it was Burnley who came closest to opening the scoring in the 15th minute when Stanislas’ fierce effort from 20 yards struck the inside of the post and bounced out.

Both sides were clearly struggling to get the ball down and play their passing games as the half quickly degenerated into a real scrappy affair.

But a dour half was illuminated four minutes before half time through a moment of brilliance from Ross Wallace.

The Clarets wide man took Charlie Austin’s ball in his path, cut in from the right flank and unleashed a vicious, curling, dipping volley that brought a magnificent save from Gilks, who somehow got a fingertip to turn the ball over the bar.

The second half started in similar fashion, but in the 57th minute the hosts finally broke the deadlock form nowhere with a stunning goal.

The Clarets allowed Silvestre to cut inside 25 yards out, but still couldn’t have expected the Frenchman to unleash a howitzer that screamed into Grant’s top right hand corner, giving the Clarets’ keeper no chance.

That forced Burnley into a response, but Pool now had something to hold onto as they looked to climb above the Clarets in the league table.

But with time running out, boss Sean Dyche opted for a double substitution, with Martin Paterson and David Edgar replacing wide men Wallace and Stanislas.

That meant three strikers, complemented by Dean Marney and Chris McCann in more advanced midfield roles as the Clarets looked to exert some late pressure.

And the changes worked as the Clarets were able to finally start pushing Blackpool backwards.

Edgar’s snapshot nine minutes from time was deflected for a corner as the Seasiders grew nervous,

But form the resulting corner, it was the Clarets who had a real let-off as Dean Marney was robbed on the edge of the box.

Blackpool sprung from defence, and when Tom Ince’s effort deflected off Mee and onto the face of the crossbar, Silvestre somehow headed the rebound wide from six yards.

BURNLEY: Grant, Mee, Shackell, Long, Trippier, Marney (Ings 87), Stanislas (Edgar 75), McCann, Wallace (Paterson 75), Vokes, Austin
Subs: Jensen, Bartley, Lafferty, Treacy

BLACKPOOL: Gilks, Baptiste, Broadfoot, McKenzie, Crainey, Ferguson, Basham, Silvestre (Cathcart 87), Ince, M Phillips (Eardley 87), Delfouneso.
Subs: Halstead, Angel, Grandin, Derbyshire, Taylor-Fletcher

Booked: Phillips 52, Baptiste 64

Ref: D Whitestone

Att: 14,437 (1,647 Burnley)

Advertisement block