Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Ipswich away

10 November 2012

Ipswich Town 2 Burnley 1

Sean Dyche’s winning start as Burnley boss came to an end as bottom-of-the-table Ipswich recorded their first home victory of the season thanks to a late strike from DJ Campbell.

The Clarets looked as though they had pinched a point when a controversial opener from Daryl Murphy was cancelled out by Sam Vokes’ first goal of the season with just 11 minutes to go.

But this has never been a happy hunting ground for the Clarets and eight minutes later Campbell pounced to make it a happy home start for new boss Mick McCarthy as for once not even Charlie Austin could bale Burnley out on a rare barren afternoon for the in-form striker.

Burnley had been left furious by referee Mark Brown’s decision to allow Murphy’s opening goal to stand following an apparent foul on goalkeeper Lee Grant five minutes after the break.

But having failed to build on an impressive first half, the Clarets’ habit of conceding late goals came back to haunt them as their Ipswich hoodoo continued.

Martin Paterson goes close early on

With the Clarets looking to end their 42-year wait for a win at Portman Road, Dyche was forced to make a defensive change with Ben Mee failing to shake off a foot injury sustained in Tuesday night’s win over Leeds.

Danny Lafferty was handed the task of plugging the gap at left-back in a back four which hadn’t conceded a goal in Dyche’s first two games in charge.

And the Northern Ireland international showed no shortage of confidence on his first Championship start of the season as Burnley began with the swagger of a side chasing a fifth win in six games.

Dyche’s side moved the ball well and won the early territorial battle, although Ipswich didn’t look like a side enduring their worst ever start to a season outside the top flight.

The Tractor Boys hadn’t won a home League game since the end of March and five successive defeats on their own patch had cost former manager Paul Jewell his job.

With McCarthy installed as his replacement, Town were never likely to be a soft touch and it was the Blues who made the best two chances of the first half.

Burnley enjoyed the better spells of possession but Campbell, one of a clutch of loan players in the Ipswich squad, twice got a sight of goal only to be denied by Grant.

The Clarets protest at Daryl Murphy's opener

The keeper’s first save after only five minutes was fairly regulation but his second half an hour later was superb, showing remarkable reflexes to go low to his left to turn Campbell’s effort round the post after he had met Richie Wellen’s pull-back on the volley as the hosts grew in confidence.

That might have been tested had Burnley gone in front but with Austin kept on a tight rein, the Clarets best chance of the opening half came to Martin Paterson, who was defeated by a combination of a tight angle and goalkeeper Stephen Henderson as he ran onto Dean Marney’s flick header.

And having been unable to pile further pressure on the bottom club, the Clarets found themselves behind in controversial fashion five minutes into the second half.

Ipswich had started well after the break but got a massive slice of luck when Murphy backed into Grant, knocking the Clarets’ keeper to the ground before nodding home Carlos Edwards’ deflected cross.

Grant and his defensive colleagues immediately went to the referee, who felt unsure enough to consult with an assistant but with neither official presumably having seen the collision, allowed the goal to stand.

Sam Vokes levels it up at 1-1

The goal knocked Burnley out of their stride as Ipswich threatened a second and Ross Wallace collected a fifth booking of the season before making way, along with the tidy Brian Stock, as Dyche made a double change with 25 minutes to go.

With the finishing line in sight Ipswich started to go into their shells but despite the worst defensive record in the division they continued to protect Henderson as the Clarets struggled to make any impression in attack with Austin looking an increasingly frustrated figure.

But Austin was given welcome extra support with a quarter of an hour to go when Vokes was sent on and just four minutes later the substitute played his hand as Burnley made it 1-1.

The delivery from the flanks had been below par for much of the afternoon but when Stanislas finally got it right, Vokes won a glancing header which skimmed off defender Danny Higginbotham and flew into the roof of the net.

That looked enough to earn a point but with three minutes to go the Clarets let that slip from their grasp when they were caught out on the break, Edwards crossing for Campbell to steer the ball back across Grant with the outside of his foot to end Town’s drought.

Late heartache

Ipswich: Henderson, Cresswell, Chambers, Smith, Higginbotham, Edwards, N'Daw, Wellens (Emmanuel-Thomas 79), Reo-Coker, Campbell (Mohsni 89), Murphy. Subs: Loach, Hewitt, Chopra, Scotland, Drury, Mohsni, Loach.

Burnley: Grant, Trippier, Lafferty, Duff, Shackell, Stock (Bartley 65), Marney (Vokes 76), McCann, Austin, Paterson, Wallace (Stanislas 65). Subs: Edgar, Ings, Mills, Jensen.

Booked: Wallace 60, Paterson 85

Referee: Mark Brown

Attendance: 16,297

Advertisement block