Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

No New Year Spending Spree

17 December 2012

Shareholders told Charlie Austin not for sale

Co-Chairman Mike Garlick tonight ruled out a January spending spree at Burnley – but insisted Charlie Austin is not for sale!

Mr Garlick, addressing shareholders at the club’s annual general meeting at Turf Moor, said there may be some incoming loan activity in the new year.

But after revealing contract talks were underway with several players whose contracts expire in the summer, he insisted buying in January was “not a priority”. 



Mr Garlick insisted: “I hate buying in January. It is not always the best time to buy, so January will not be a priority. 

“We have quite a few players out of contract here and Sean (Dyche) has been here about eight weeks and is still very much fine tuning what we’ve got.

“There may be something in January for extra loans, but I don’t think we are planning on any major activity. 

“If there were to be any it is going to take place in the summer in all reality.”

The Clarets, who are set to welcome Jamaican international wide man Dane Richards on January 1, have several stars out of contract at the end of the current season, including goalkeepers Lee Grant and Brian Jensen, defender Michael Duff, midfielders Chris McCann, Dean Marney and Ross Wallace and striker Martin Paterson.

Manager Dyche added: “We know the contract situation obviously and we have already started what I call softly negotiating because most of them are at the bigger end of this club’s wage structure.



“They are quite realistic I think, so really it’s in its early stages, but yes, the wheels are in motion and we’ve started looking at their contracts on a serious level.”

However, club chiefs also allayed shareholders' fears by insisting there were no plans to sell leading goalscorer Austin in the January transfer window.

The former Swindon Town striker is in the form of his life, spearheading the Clarets striker force with a staggering 22 goals to his name this season.

And Mr Garlick insisted: “We have no plans to sell Charlie at the minute. 

“We see him as an integral part of our squad for this season.

"If you remember last season he was injured quite a bit and the season we bought him he was injured as well, but we want him playing for us this season and you are going to see that happen."



Chief Executive Lee Hoos added: “We had the same situation last year with Jay Rodriguez and we said 'no, we will not sell him in January'. 

“We have no plans to sell Charlie either! 

"We do not want to sell Charlie and we would not encourage offers on Charlie. 

“We just want to keep Charlie and let him enjoy his football as he is doing right now and keep scoring goals and let’s see where it takes us at the end of the season.”

The club’s annual general meeting also saw long-serving director Mr Clive Holt re-elected to the board.

A full round-up of the AGM will follow...


Advertisement block