Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 14:00 (UK)

Buy tickets
01 October 2018 Venue Tameside Stadium Attendance

Kick off 14:00 (UK)

Burnley U23
3 - 2
Crewe Alexandra U23

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Lineup will be displayed here shortly before the game

Advertisement block

Match Previews

Preview: Burnley U23s v Crewe U23s

Clarets back at Curzon for fourth home game in a row

1 October 2018

The Under-23s are back in action at the Tameside Stadium for a third consecutive game in the Professional Development League when they face Crewe Alexandra on Monday afternoon (2pm).

The Clarets fell to a 3-0 defeat last time out against Hull City when Robbie Brady completed 82 minutes on his return to full fitness.

Burnley will be again be without defender Ali Koiki and midfielder Christian N’Guessan due to suspension, with the latter also still out injured with the ankle problem he suffered at the same time as receiving a red card in a 2-0 win over Bolton a fortnight ago.

Crewe come into the game off the back of a 1-0 win over Birmingham City - their second win in three games.

The Alex currently sit eighth in the northern group, level on points and goal difference with Burnley, who kicked off their current home run with a 2-1 loss to Millwall at Turf Moor in early Septem.

When the two sides met last season Crewe ran out 2-0 winners at Gresty Road.

Ed Cook then scored the winner in a 1-0 victory over the Railway Men at Turf Moor in April.

The match kicks off at 2:00pm, live updates of the game will be available on Twitter (@Burnleyofficial) followed by reaction a report.

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Burnley U23s 3 Crewe Alexandra U23s 2

Steven Defour and Dan Agyei double helps Clarets back to winners' enclosure

1 October 2018

Steven Defour played for 90 minutes to complete his re-habilitation as the Under-23s got back on track with a fourth home win of the season.

Daniel Agyei scored twice in five first-half minutes before a slice of luck earned Tinashe Chakwana a second-half winner.

And the other big plus was another run-out for Defour who played his first full game since returning from his lengthy injury absence.

The former Belgium international was back on first-team duty for last Tuesday night’s Carabao Cup defeat at Burton – playing for just over 70 minutes – and was an unused substitute at Cardiff on Sunday as the Clarets won away for the first in the Premier League this season.

And another outing as an over-age player in the Professional Development League should now have him nearer cherry ripe to play a potential role against Huddersfield Town at Turf Moor on Saturday should the extra midfield option be required.

Defour had helped secure a win over Bolton in his last under-23 appearance a fortnight ago before a defeat to Hull City a week ago checked the Clarets’ momentum.

But despite letting a two-goal lead slip before the break, the side under the temporary stewardship of Academy Manager Jon Pepper regained control to see off a Crewe side that had won two of its previous three games.

Dwight McNeil was also included in the Burnley ranks and played a big part in the Clarets’ early dominance.

His early free-kick was headed just wide by Olly Younger before the winger, a permanent fixture in the first-team squad, twice went close when cutting in off the right flank to go it alone.

The opening goal finally came after 24 minutes when left-back Anthony Glennon produced a perfect cross for Agyei to dive and head home.

And the Clarets quickly doubled their lead when Agyei struck again, this time showing his pace and power to burst into the box before steering a low shot past William Jaaskelainen.

With McNeil, Defour and Mace Goodridge dictating things, Crewe had offered little threat.

But the visitors were offered a route back into the game when defender Ed Cook headed an own-goal past Anders Lindegaard from Harry Pickering’s free-kick.

Encouraged by that, the Railwaymen then grabbed an equaliser seven minutes before half-time when Younger hauled down Pickering and Lewis Reilly converted from the penalty spot.

The Clarets recovered from that set-back to hold sway again in the second half but it took a slice of luck to earn them maximum points.

Goodridge was stopped in his tracks as the midfielder advanced into the box but an attempted clearance from Travis Johnson crashed into the shins of Chakwana and rebounded into the back of the net.

It was no more than the Clarets deserved but Chakwana’s attempt to add a more deliberate fourth goal was thwarted 15 minutes from time when Jaaskelainen – watched by his father Jussi, the former Bolton and West Ham goalkeeper – made a fine save to tip over a the striker’s crisply struck shot on the turn.

Burnley: Lindegaard, Cropper, Cook, Younger, Glennon, Bayode (Blair 64), Goodridge (Howarth 58), Defour, McNeil, Agyei (Trialist 78), Chakwana. Substitutes: McMahon, Clarke.     

Crewe: Jaaskelainen, Johnson, Offord, Lundstram, Sass Davies (Onyeka 82), Raynes (Fenton 70), Heath, Pickering (Robbins 64), Reilly, Linton, Lynch. Substitutes: Odipe, Booth.

Referee: Lewis Smith           

Advertisement block

Advertisement block