Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 19:00 (UK)

Buy tickets
13 August 2018 Venue Turf Moor Attendance

Kick off 19:00 (UK)

Burnley U23
4 - 1
Cardiff City U23

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Lineup will be displayed here shortly before the game

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Burnley U23s 4 Cardiff City U23s 1

New signing Matej Vydra off the mark as Clarets cruise to opening win

13 August 2018

Matej Vydra scored his first goal in a Burnley shirt to help the Clarets make a winning start in the Professional Development League.

Vydra – playing as an over-age player along with fellow new signing Ben Gibson, club captain Tom Heaton and Kevin Long – completed the full game as he tops up his match fitness.

And the recent recruit from Derby County wasted no time in settling into his new surroundings with an assured finish to double an early lead as Burnley began their campaign with a comfortable victory behind closed doors at Turf Moor tjhanks to further goals from Dan Agyei, Tunde Bayode and Ali Koiki.

"It was good performance with lots of positives," said boss Michael Duff, who was back in the dug-out following his recent first-team duties.

"All four senior players got 90 minutes, which is what they needed, and they were all excellent.

"I thought there were plenty of good performances from the young lads as well.

"I don't think it's the team we're going to have all season, but they just went about it the right way.

"I thought they’re goallie was probably man-of-the match because we had numerous chances.

"Obviously it would of been nice to have the clean sheet as well, but the way they went about it from the first whistle was excellent."

The Clarets took just seven minutes to go in front as Agyei tapped in from virtually on the line after Gibson – who looked a commanding presence – had flicked on a Dwight McNeil corner.

And Vydra then opened his account when he coolly slotted the ball past goalkeeper Matt Hall to make it 2-0 after being released by Christian N’Guessan 14 minutes in.

The Clarets had opportunities to add to their lead before the break as they dominated against a youthful Cardiff side.

A superb ball from Bayode played in the impressive McNeil, who checked back and curled a shot against a post with Vydra seeing the follow-up blocked before Mace Goodridge forced Hall into a flying save.

And two minutes before half-time Vydra, who buzzed around behind Agyei and occasionally dropped out to the left, teed up his forward partner for a low strike which was again well saved by Hall.

Cardiff had few chances to test former Bluebird Heaton but three minutes after the break did pull a goal back.

Jamie Veale’s through-ball saw Brayden Shaw beat the off-side flag and his shot appeared to take a nick off Gibson before finding the bottom corner.

However, it didn’t take long for Burnley to restore their two-goal lead thanks to the lively Bayode.

His pace caused the Welshmen problems all night and when he got away again, the winger delivered a powerful finish with a thundering strike into the top corner.

And with four minutes to go, Vydra generously turned provider as Duff’s men added a fourth to get up and running in emphatic style and help bed in the new boys.

Substitute Ntumba Massanka played his part with a fine pass to the Czech international, who drew the keeper before squaring the ball for fast finishing full-back Koiki to tap in and round off an impressive night’s work.

Burnley: Heaton, Dunne, Koiki, N’Guessan, Gibson, Long, Bayode (Cropper 86), Goodridge (Blair 74), Vydra, Agyei (Massanka 86), McNeil. Substitutes: McMahon, Perkins.

Cardiff City: Hall, Pryce, P McKay, Veale, Brown, Bodenham, Coxe (Burwood 74), Evans, J McKay (Wootton 60), Burrows (Sumner HT), Shaw. 

Referee: Andy Sykes


Advertisement block

Advertisement block