Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 14:00 (UK)

05 September 2017 Venue Springfields Attendance 30 Referee David Underwood

Kick off 14:00 (UK)

3 - 2
Burnley Football Club

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Lineup will be displayed here shortly before the game

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Preston North End 3 Burnley 2

Young Clarets side bows out of County Cup after brave fight

5 September 2017

The Clarets bowed out of the Lancashire Senior Cup at the first hurdle but not without pushing a vastly experienced Preston side all the way.

North End boasted a starting line-up in which every player had first-team appearances on their CV.

And in the case of central midfielder John Welsh and Paul Gallagher, two players who have been there and done it several times over.

But a young Burnley side refused to be overawed and despite going behind twice in the first half, hit back to stay in the contest at North End’s Springfield training ground.

Front men Jamie Thomas and Khius Metz both scored as the sides shared five goals in an entertaining first half.

And after surviving a spell of pressure just after the break, only the width of a post prevented Michael Duff’s men from taking the tie to penalties.

Jamie Thomas celebrates his equaliser with Rahis Nabi

The Clarets started well with Metz almost playing in strike partner Thomas as Preston keeper Declan Rudd was forced to dash off his line to save.

Nabi Rahis then saw a deflected effort go just wide but North End went ahead after 26 minutes when Arlen Birch was at full stretch to try and cut out a cross from Callum Robinson and could only head into his own net.

Aiden Stone then had to save well from Josh Harrop to prevent a second but with half an hour gone, the Clarets levelled with a superb strike.

Thomas was 30 yards from goal when he lined up a free-kick but perfectly located the bottom corner with a curling effort that eluded the defensive wall and beat the diving Rudd.

But in a flurry of goals Preston quickly hit back, the impressive Marnick Vermijl drilling home a low shot as he cut in from the right flank and Harrop nodding in a Robinson cross to make it 3-1.

Khius Metz was also on the scoresheet

It could have been a long afternoon for the Clarets at that point but again they rallied impressively.

And when Metz punished a loose back-pass from Andy Boyle to coolly slot the ball home it was game-on again at the break.

Preston looked to re-assert themselves following the re-start and put the tie to bed.

But with a combination of poor finishing and determined defending, Harry Flowers and Oliver Younger standing strong in the middle of the Clarets’ defence, the visitors kept themselves in the game.

And as the half wore on, Burnley sensed the chance of an equaliser.

Chakwana and Duff both thought the winger should have been awarded a penalty when he was bundled to the floor.

Chakwana also hit a post following a fine pass from Thomas.

And Preston were glad just to hold out at the death as Chakwana fired wide and with almost the last kick, Rahis connected with a fierce volley which went just too close to Rudd.

Preston: Rudd, Vermijl, Boyle, Spurr, O’Connor, Woods, Gallagher (Garstang 71), Welsh (O’Neil 71), Pringle, Harrop (Meulensteen 63), Robinson.

Burnley: Stone, Birch, Koiki, Howarth (N’Guessan 80), Flowers, Younger, Bayode, Nabi, Metz (Wilson 86), Thomas (McNeil 83), Tinashe.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block