Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 11:00 (UK)

Buy tickets
22 September 2018 Venue The Barnfield Training Centre Attendance

Kick off 11:00 (UK)

Burnley U18
3 - 2
Barnsley U18

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Lineup will be displayed here shortly before the game

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Burnley U18s 3 Barnsley U18s 2

22 September 2018

The young Clarets ran out 3-2 winners against Barnsley in a topsy-turvy tussle at the Barnfield Training Centre.

The Tykes took the lead in the 23rd minute, before the Clarets equalised through Kai Smith, minutes later.

Burnley then took the lead two minutes into the second half, as Mitch George slammed home from the spot.

However, the visitors drew level just before the hour mark through Brad Binns’ strike.

But the Clarets were not backing down and snatched the winner from substitute Matty O’Neil in the 73rd minute.

Assistant manager John Townson was delighted to see the youngsters put in a performance and battle their way to victory.

He said “Throughout the week that was a key thing, to show that desire to want to win and win those second balls and also attack better, which I think we did.

“I think throughout the game we showed spells of going forward well and attacking the play well. It was good to see.”

O’Neil made just his second appearance for the youth team this season and grabbed what turned out to be the winner.

And Townson was delighted for the striker, insisting:“I’m really pleased for Matty.

"It was a very new and different team to be honest, with a couple of debuts and couple of first starts, so I was pleased they got over the line in different circumstances.”

The opening stages of the match were very quiet and neither side really tested either goalkeeper.

However, with 23 minutes played the Tykes struck first, as the forward cut inside before firing into the bottom corner.

Shortly after, the Clarets had their equaliser. Smith stepped up after Jayden Major was fouled just outside the area and curled home an excellent free-kick.

The two sides headed into the break level, but it was the Clarets who had the next say just two minutes into the second period.

After a handball in the area, Burnley were awarded a penalty, and George confidently stepped up and slotted home.

Just 10 minutes later, however, the Yorkshire side levelled the scroes for the second time through Binns, as his strike from outside the box found the bottom corner.

However, the Burnley side lead by assistant coach Townson, due to Danny Cadamaretri’s absence, took the lead once again.

Substitute O’Neil picked up the ball inside the area, before firing home to set up a nervy final few minutes.

And the Clarets managed to hold on despite the Tykes’ pressure and secure all three points.

BURNLEY: Allen, Patterson, Taylor, Pruti, Rain, Major (Moonan 56), Yari (O’Neil 68), Mupariwa, Conley, Smith, George.

Subs: O’Shaugnessy, Chima.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block