Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

10 November 2018 Venue King Power Stadium Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


Premier League

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Leicester City 0 Burnley 0

Clarets show their character on and off the pitch to take a point on emotional day

10 November 2018

On a day football came together to pay tribute to former Leicester City chairman Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha, Burnley and Leicester City could not be separated.

Heart-felt tributes to Srivaddhanaprabha, who was killed in a helicopter crash along with four other people after leaving the King Power Stadium a fortnight ago, made for an emotional backdrop to the Foxes’ home-coming.

In the first game at the stadium since the accident, Burnley boss Sean Dyche admitted the result was almost an irrelevance in the bigger picture of a personal and collective tragedy.

But the Clarets still had work to do, and they did it in a typically professional manner which reflected the respect shown by the travelling supporters – many of whom joined in the 5000/1 tribute march and then fell silent for two minutes before kick-off to honour those who lost their lives last month and those commemorated over the Remembrance weekend.

Leicester had outstripped those freakish odds to win the Premier League three seasons ago under the stewardship of Srivaddhanaprabha, while Burnley were heading back to the top flight.

The Clarets have maintained their upward curve ever since, although a tough start to the current campaign had flattened out the graph.

Three successive defeats and 13 goals conceded had added to the importance of regaining momentum.

And Dyche’s men stood up to be counted in a display full of character and commitment which brought them a valuable point from a first clean sheet since the opening day of the season as the first team to stop Leicester scoring in the Premier League this term.

City had galvanised themselves to win at Cardiff a week ago, but after the emotion of the pre-match tributes back on home territory there was not the immediate anticipated surge of adrenalin as relatively normal service was resumed in a cagey start.

Yet with 15 minutes gone, Leicester nearly got the goal that would have changed the mood again inside the stadium.

At full stretch, Clarets keeper Joe Hart was unable to clear a cross from Mark Albrighton and Jamie Vardy – a talismanic figure for the Foxes during their rise to the top – was denied only by Matt Lowton’s superb goal-line block to set the tone for the full-back's outstanding performance.

Lowton then made a telling contribution at the other end with a low cross which led to the Clarets’ opening chance.

Sam Vokes, an ever-willing targetman, stepped over the ball and former Fox Chris Wood – warmly welcomed back by the home fans – was unable to beat Kasper Schmeichel with a shot half-stopped by Wes Morgan.

The better chances came Leicester’s way as Rachid Ghezzal headed another Albrighton cross against the bar as the home crowd, who rose to acclaim title-winning boss Claudio Ranieri among the guests in the directors’ box, tried to spur on their team.

But Hart’s excellent save to thwart Demarai Gray, after the winger had been released by Vardy, proved vital in keeping the Clarets level.

And Dyche’s men, for whom Johann Berg Gudmundsson kept Schmeichel honest with a long range free-kick which may have been going just wide, continued to grow into the contest.

A break-away from Vardy and shooting chance for Albrighton was almost against the run of play early in the second half as the Clarets pressed and harried more like their former selves to keep the Foxes on the back foot.

But with 60 minutes gone, reflecting the age of their former chairman, the Leicester fans rose again and on cue Vardy was sprung free by Gray’s pass.

Fate suggested the former England man would go on and score but Kevin Long, impressively deputising for the injured James Tarkowski alongside a rejuvenated Ben Mee as one of three changes to the Clarets’ starting line-up, ignored the script with a fine sliding block.

The Clarets countered with their best chance of the game with 17 minutes to go.

But following good work from Robbie Brady, who gave a lively cameo off the bench on the ground where a knee injury cruelly curtailed his season last December, Wood was just unable to keep his volleyed effort down.

Having survived that scare, Leicester inevitably wound up for a final push.

But the Clarets defended superbly to make sure they wouldn’t leave empty-handed, digging deep to keep the Foxes at bay with a late header from substitute Shinji Okazakai the nearest City came to ending a difficult day on an optimistic note.

Leicester City: Schmeichel, Ricardo Pereira, Morgan, Evans (Soyuncu 90), Chilwell, Mendy, Ndidi, Ghezzal, Gray (Okazaki 84), Albrighton (Iheanacho 60), Vardy. Substitutes: Simpson, Ward, Iborra, Fuchs.

Booked: Morgan, Iheanacho.

Burnley: Hart, Lowton, Long, Mee, Taylor, Gudmundsson (Brady 65), Defour (Hendrick 55), Cork, Lennon, Vokes (Barnes 73), Wood. Substitutes: Heaton, Westwood, Bardsley, Vydra.

Booked: None

Referee: Mike Dean

Attendance: 32,184 (1,296 Burnley)

Advertisement block

Advertisement block