Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

Buy tickets
02 August 2018 Venue Turf Moor Attendance

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


UEFA Europa League Qualifying

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

'We Believe In The Players' - Dyche

Burnley boss has faith in the squad who delivered so much last season

2 August 2018

Sean Dyche is confident the Clarets at their best have what it takes to progress in Europe.

Dyche’s side faces Aberdeen at Turf Moor tonight with their Europa League second-round qualifier locked at 1-1 after the first leg a week ago.

The Burnley boss has so far been unable to add to his squad this summer and is also missing a couple of key men through injury.

But after guiding the Clarets to seventh in the Premier League last season – the club’s highest-ranked finish since 1974 – he is backing his players to produce the goods again as Burnley host their first home European tie for 51 years.

“We believe in the players and we believe they are a strong enough side to give a performance that can win the game,” said Dyche.

“That’s something that leaves a high demand on us – internally I mean – and when we get that right we know that we’re a good side.

“We have proved that for the last few seasons, and definitely last season.

“You can’t cheat your way to what they achieved in the Premier League last season.

“Now it’s a new season, of course, and your mind has got to be right, your body has got to be right and the tactical framework etc.

“But we know when we perform we’re a strong outfit, particularly when we’ve got good backing from our crowd, which we’ve had for a long time here.

“That’s our expectation – the team goes and performs well in order to win the game.”

Aberdeen, steeped in European history, will be backed by a sold-out away allocation of 2,400 fans as they look to reach the third qualifying round – and a tie against Turkish outfit Istanbul Basaksehir – for the fourth successive season.

Along with Burnley’s travelling fans at Pittodrie, the Scots generated a passionate atmosphere in a tie that saw the Clarets come from behind to secure a potentially vital late away goal through Sam Vokes.

The boot will be on the other foot tonight with the Clarets’ supporters holding the numerical advantage and Dyche is looking for their backing to help his side progress and set up a first-leg trip to the Turkish capital a week tonight.

“The good thing about the ‘Burnley Massive’ as I know them now is they know there are no ‘gimmes’,” added the Burnley boss.

“They know we have to work for everything and they’re prepared to back the team to work for everything. That’s certainly what I’ve enjoyed here over the last few years.

“There’s a real positive energy about the reality of the game. Anything can happen, so we have to make sure we’re on top of the game, and they know that, and they can back the players in making sure they get that boost from the fans.

“Fans are important, there’s no two ways about that. They play a big part in us being what we are and that positive vocal backing they give us definitely helps.”

Aberdeen – who famously lifted the European Cup Winners’ Cup under Sir Alex Ferguson in 1983 – travelled south on Wednesday afternoon before visiting Turf Moor for a look around and to host a press conference with manager Derek McInnes and recent recruit Tommie Hoban.

And McInnes, who last season led the Dons to second place in the Scottish Premiership for a fourth time in a row, is aware of the task facing his side.

The Dons' boss (above) said: “I’ve always found in Europe against the better teams, and Burnley are up there with anything we’ve played in Europe, you normally need two strong performances.

"One is normally not enough. I felt before the game that we had to score here to probably get through the tie and that’s where we are.

"Burnley were favourites prior to the game, which I totally understand, and with their away goal last week it puts them in the box seat. The onus is on us to score and change that, but I’m confident that we can do that.

"We’re not coming down here thinking we’ll be gallant losers and good old Aberdeen putting up a fight. The aim is to get through the tie as it’s been since we were drawn together.”

While the Clarets have lost goalkeeper Nick Pope to the dislocated shoulder he suffered at Pittodrie, Aberdeen have added fit-again defender Andy Considine to the squad that featured a week ago.

There are still tickets available for tonight's game, with details HERE

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Burnley 3 Aberdeen 1 (Agg 4-2)

Clarets strike twice in extra-time to overcome brave Scots and go through in Europe

2 August 2018

Marathon man Jack Cork produced the goods again as the Clarets struck twice in extra time to reach the third qualifying round of the Europa League and set up a tie with Turkish side Istanbul Basaksehir.

Cork played every minute of last season - and ran further than anyone else - in the Premier League to help secure the seventh-place finish which brought European football back to Burnley for the first time in over 50 years.

And the midfielder was still going strong in extra time at the end of a gripping contest to head the goal that finally killed off Aberdeen’s unwilting challenge before Ashley Barnes kept his cool to convert a penalty four minutes from the end of a historic and – ultimately – glorious night at Turf Moor.

The second leg of the second-round qualifier had gone the full distance after Chris Wood’s early goal for the Clarets had been cancelled out by Aberdeen midfielder Lewis Ferguson’s spectacular strike just before the half hour.

And the two sides then refused to give an inch, going at it hammer and tongs in a full-blooded Anglo-Scottish tussle.

The Clarets had the better of the chances as Dons keeper Joe Lewis produced heroics.

But the Scots always carried a goal threat of their own to keep the tie on a knife edge until Burnley saved the best until last to seal a landmark victory.

The Clarets were given the perfect start as they went ahead in the tie for the first time with just five minutes gone.

Wood had scored twice for Birmingham in the group stages of the competition in 2011 and the striker opened his European account with a classy finish.

Ashley Westwood’s ball over the top was perfectly delivered but the striker still had plenty to do as he got there first ahead of Lewis.

Having held off the keeper, Wood kept his composure to turn and steer a powerful left-foot strike past two covering defenders into the roof of the net to reflect the Clarets’ early domination.

Aberdeen had barely been allowed out of their own half as Burnley dictated possession and pulled the visitors around.

But having recovered from that setback the Scots eased their way into the contest and fired a warning when Gary Mackay-Steven was left in space at the back post to let fly with a shot which was blocked by Stephen Ward.

And when Mackay-Steven then popped up on the opposite flank five minutes later he helped bring about the equaliser as Aberdeen grabbed the away goal to cancel out the one Sam Vokes had plundered late on at Pittodrie in the first leg to earn a starting slot in the only change to Burnley’s line-up.

Wood had come back to help out his defence but when his headed clearance from Mackay-Stevens’ cross dropped into the penalty area, teenager Ferguson pounced to send a superb overhead volley into the top corner.

The Clarets looked to respond as the tempo went up a gear, James Tarkowski flicking a header wide from a near-post Johann Berg Gudmundsson.

Wood then looked to be pulled back as he got away from Dons defender Scott McKenna to set up a run on goal.

But the visitors got the rub of the green on that decision and just before the break it took an excellent finger-tip save from Anders Lindegaard – making his full Burnley debut following injuries to Nick Pope and Tom Heaton – to prevent them going ahead as he touched away a low skidding drive from the impressive Graeme Shinnie.

Dyche sent on Barnes in place of injured goalscorer Wood at the start of the second half and the Clarets again took the early initiative with Lewis this time needing to produce a top-drawer save to keep the scores level.

Ben Mee’s ball forward was nodded down by Vokes for Gudmundsson to send a first-time strike towards the bottom corner which Lewis did well to push around a post.

Gudmundsson was suddenly causing the Dons’ defence all sorts of problems and teed up a chance for Barnes which the striker could not convert.

And for a spell the Clarets swarmed all over the former European Cup Winners’ Cup winners – who start their Scottish Premiership campaign against Glasgow Rangers on Sunday – as they looked to get their noses back in front.

But, as in the first half, Derek McInnes’ side, backed by a superb and noisy away following, hung in to stay very much in the contest, knowing that a goal for them on the break would leave the Clarets needing two to progress.

And with 25 minutes to go they nearly got it, Shinnie again picking up the ball in a dangerous area but this time lifting his effort over the bar from outside the penalty area.

In what was developing into a pulsating cup tie Burnley came back again and it took another piece of brilliant goalkeeping from Lewis to deny Barnes, who was superbly picked out by Cork to arrow in a shot which Lewis palmed over the top.

But Aberdeen weren’t just hanging on, Shinnie getting forward again to force Lindegaard into another save at his near post.

It was end-to-end stuff and with 15 minutes to go Lewis was Aberdeen’s saviour again, this time finger-tipping a Vokes header onto the underside of the bar when it looked like the striker had steered a perfect Matt Lowton cross into the roof of the net.

Nobody, from either side, was leaving anything out there but they had to go for another 30 minutes as the stalemate meant extra time.

The Clarets sent on fresh legs in the shape of Charlie Taylor, shortly after Dwight McNeil had been thrust onto the big stage, and within minutes he had whipped over a dangerous cross which Gudmundsson almost turned in at the near post – Andrew Considine making a vital block.

And it was Taylor who then provided the cross at the end of an excellent Burnley move for the Clarets to go back in front, Cork timing his run into the box perfectly to head a trademark goal and make it 2-1 on the night with 101 minutes on the clock.

Even then a second equaliser from Aberdeen would have taken them through on away goals.

But the Clarets did more than sit on their lead and with six minutes to go they finally made the game safe and booked a flight to Istanbul next week.

Gudmundsson was key again with a driving run into the box and when his cross was handled by Scott McKenna the Clarets had their first penalty since last August.

Thankfully Barnes hadn’t forgotten what to do as he sent the defiant Lewis the wrong way to set up phase two of the Clarets' European tour.

Burnley: Lindegaard, Lowton, Tarkowski, Mee, Ward (Taylor 90), Lennon (McNeil 86), Cork, Westwood (Hendrick 105), Gudmundsson, Vokes, Wood (Barnes HT). Substitutes: Legzdins, Bardsley, Long.

Booked: Gudmundsson, Lowton

Aberdeen: Lewis, Logan, McKenna, Devlin, Hoban (Ball 88), Considine, Shinnie, Ferguson (Chris Forrester 105), Mackay-Steven, Cosgrove (May 100), McGinn (Wright 81). Substitutes: Cerny, Forrester, Gleeson, May, Campbell.

Booked: Shinnie, Considine

Referee: Massimiliano Irrati (Italy)

Attendance: 17,404

Advertisement block

Advertisement block