Skip to main content


21:47 25th October 2011


Cardiff City re-wrote the history books as Burnley's Carling Cup run came to a tame end in the Welsh capital.

Cardiff conondrum

The Clarets had won all three of the previous League Cup ties between the two clubs, going back to Burnley's first tilt at the competition in 1960.

But on a night when Eddie Howe's men left their shooting boots back in Lancashire, it was the Bluebirds who eased their way into the quarter-finals.

Burnley had scored in their last 15 games in the competition in a run stretching back to September, 2007.

But after hitting the net 11 times to reach round four this time around, they couldn't find another goal to cancel out Joe Mason's 40th-minute effort which was enough to seal the Clarets' fate.

With half an eye on back-to-back home Championship games, starting with Saturday's derby clash with Blackpool, Howe had dipped into his squad strength to make four changes from the side that won at Coventry three days previously.

Among the beneficiaries was Alex MacDonald, who made his full debut on the right side of a midfield also including the recalled Dean Marney, while Ben Mee and Zavon Hines also made starts as the Clarets looked to keep their campaign firing on two fronts.

Ben Mee was a threat from set pieces

MacDonald hadn't had a touch by the time Cardiff should have taken a fifth-minute lead through Mason, who dragged a shot across goal with just Lee Grant to beat.

But having survived that early scare, the Clarets responded well and were unfortunate not to go in front themselves.

Mark Hudson's block to keep out an effort by Jay Rodriguez cost Cardiff a corner and when it was only cleared as far as Marney, the midfielder's fine pass picked out Keith Treacy to let fly with an angled right-foot shot which Tom Heaton touched against a post at full stretch.

Heaton saved his side again as he leapt to touch over a header from Brian Easton from the resulting corner as the Clarets kept up the pressure.

But Cardiff, with just one home defeat all season, were always lively going forward and it took an excellent save from Grant to stop Craig Conway from breaking the deadlock.

Don Cowie then volleyed over the bar from a Hudson knock-down after half an hour after Rodriguez had flashed a header over at the other end.

Alex MacDonald was given his full debut

And with five minutes to go before the end of a lively first half, the Bluebirds went 1-0 up through Mason.

Collecting a pass from Cowie after Burnley had surrendered possession, the young Irishman found space to cut inside and curl a low left-footer inside the far post to leave the Clarets with plenty to do after the break to keep their cup hopes alive.

Howe responded by sending on Ross Wallace and Marvin Bartley for the re-start as MacDonald and Chris McCann made way.

But the Clarets found it hard going to keep the ball long enough to exert any pressure on the home side and a mistake by Mee allowed Cardiff to threaten a second through Peter Whittingham, whose fiercely struck shot with 55 minutes gone was parried to safety by Grant.

Hines then clipped an effort over the bar from a rare half-chance and with 25 minutes left to try and stay in the competition Howe unleashed Charlie Austin from the bench in a bid to force an equaliser.

Zavon Hines tries to get the Clarets moving

With Wallace becoming more prominent Burnley began to knock on the door and from the Scot's free-kick Mee nodded over, before another set-piece ended with Rodriguez fizzing a deflected effort just wide from long range.

But Heaton was never really tested and Hudson almost made the tie safe for Cardiff with a heading chance at the other end as time began to run out for the Clarets.

The big defender put his effort wide but it never looked likely to be a costly miss as Burnley plugged away without any real menace.

Four minutes from the end Brian Easton volleyed over but it was a shot struck more in hope than expectation as Cardiff comfortably sealed their passage through and left the Clarets to put hopes of Wembley on hold.

Brian Easton tries to force extra time

Cardiff: Heaton, McNaughton, Taylor, Hudson, Gerrard, Whittingham, Cowie, Conway (Kiss 70), Gunnarsson, Mason, McPhail. Subs: Earnshaw, Keinan, Quinn, Blake, Ralls, Marshall.

Booked: Gerrard 59, McNaughton 70

Burnley: Grant, Trippier, Easton, Edgar, Mee, McCann (Bartley ht), Marney, Hines , Treacy (Austin 65), MacDonald (Wallace ht), Rodriguez. Subs: Harvey, Hewitt, Amougou, Stewart.

Booked: Marney 33, McDonald 45, Hines 45, Bartley 55.

Referee: Darren Deadman.

Attendance: 11,601

    Data provided by Press Association