Skip to main content


21:38 14th February 2012


Eddie Howe had called for a special night at Turf Moor and while the volume of goals didn't quite meet his demand, the quality of the performance was just what the Burnley boss had ordered.

An early goal from Jay Rodriguez, his 18th of the season, and a second-half clincher from Charlie Austin, taking his tally to 11, gave the Clarets one of their more convincing home wins.

Had Austin been awarded the goal he should have had for a header which appeared to have crossed the line just before the break the evening would have been even more comfortable.

But just when Burnley needed their first home win of 2012 they delivered the goods to stay in touch with the play-off pack.

Barnsley had won just as cosily when the two sides met last October but this time they were outplayed as every one of Howe's side answered his call for a response to Saturday's surrender at Southampton.

The Clarets impressed in every department and a highly satisfying evening ended on a further upbeat note as Danny Ings came off the bench to make his first appearance for the club to add to Howe's attacking options as the season approaches the sharp end.

Jay-Rod puts the Clarets ahead

Howe had earlier set the agenda and Burnley could not have made a better start with a goal inside the opening three minutes.

Whereas early chances had gone to waste to make it hard work and four dropped points in their previous two home games, this time Burnley were quickly up and running.

Ross Wallace saw plenty of the ball in the opening exchanges and when the winger delivered an inviting deep cross, Josh McQuoid instantly justified his re-call with a towering header.

The ball might have sneaked inside the far post to give the on-loan Millwall man his first Burnley goal but Rodriguez was taking no chances as he slid in to claim his sixth goal in seven games.

Barnsley, having been frozen off last weekend, were certainly caught cold and spent the next 20 minutes just trying to stay in the game.

'There's only one Barry Kilby'

The Clarets showed all the energy that had been missing in their tame defeat on the south coast and queued up for a pop at goal.

Rodriguez was invariably involved, if not on the end of things then in the build-up and his pass teed up Dean Marney for a low which skidded just wide before Kieran Trippier tested the shaky Luke Steele as he got forward from right-back.

An ovation to mark Barry Kilby's 13 years as chairman, following the announcement that he will stand down in the summer due to health issues, did nothing to disrupt the Clarets' flow and the move of the half ended with Charlie Austin heading over a Trippier cross.

Rodriguez then volleyed another effort just wide and with Barnsley's only riposte a Craig Davies shot that failed to worry keeper Lee Grant the only thing missing was second goal.

David Edgar insists Charlie Austin's first-half 'goal' was in

And as the Clarets cranked up the pressure just before the break with a flurry of corners, only an apparent error by assistant referee Gordon Johnson prevented them from getting it.

Austin's header from a Wallace delivery was spilled by Steele but Barnsley got lucky as referee Oliver Langford waved played on as both television pictures and the naked eye suggested David Perkins cleared from behind the goal line.

Tykes' boss Keith Hill made a double change at the break to leave him nothing in reserve as Barnsley tried to figure out a way to stem the flow.

It made little difference as the Clarets went for the kill with Chris McCann and Rodriguez both heading off target from pin-point deliveries from the outstanding Trippier in the opening five minutes of the second half.

Charlie Austin makes sure with the second goal

But with neither chance taken, the visitors remained merely down and not out, and the Clarets were given a warning when Davies thundered a shot against the underside of the bar as Barnsley came within inches of an equaliser.

Howe's men needed a second goal and with 63 minutes gone it finally came as Austin deservedly got his name on the scoresheet for the first time since scoring at Leeds at the start of the year.

The finish was a simple tap-in after Rodriguez's effort had come back off the post, but the quality of the build-up involving Wallace and Marney summed up the quality of the Clarets' approach play.

Barnsley had not previously been beaten by more than two goals in any game this season but almost conceded a third as McQuoid volleyed just wide and Austin should have done better after being played in by McCann.

Danny Ings is welcomed to the fray

Austin was given a breather shortly afterwards, with Ings coming on for his debut after recovering from the knee operation which followed his summer signing from Bournemouth.

And the 19-year-old looked full of running to hint at exciting things to come as the Clarets climbed back into the top ten.

Burnley: Grant, Trippier (Easton 90), Duff, Edgar, Mee, McCann, Wallace (Bartley 81), Marney, Rodriguez, McQuoid, Austin (Ings 81). Subs: Treacy, Jensen.

Booked: McCann 29, Duff 83

Barnsley: Steele, Wiseman, Edwards, McNulty, Golbourne, Perkins (Doyle ht), Smith, Done (Dagnall ht), Tonge (O'Brien 29), Davies, Gray. Subs: Foster, Preece.

Referee: Oliver Langford

Attendance: 12,355

    Data provided by Press Association