Skip to main content


14:54 19th November 2011


On a day when the Clarets remembered former great Jimmy Adamson, the current Burnley side were unable to mark it with a win as Leeds again came from behind to snatch the points with two late goals.

Adamson's recent death was recognised by a minute's applause before kick-off and both teams wore black arm bands in honour of a man who captained Burnley to Championship glory in 1960 before later leading the club back into the top flight as manager.

The former Player of the Year also managed Leeds but his heart was at Turf Moor, making the result doubly disappointing for a Burnley side which led through an early Jay Rodriguez goal and dominated for much of the game.

Leeds' most significant contributions - Robert Snodgrass's double blast apart - came from goalkeeper Alex McCarthy as the Clarets seemingly did more than enough to avoid a hat-trick of defeats.

But on an afternoon ultimately sadly summed up by a serious looking injury to Charlie Austin, Eddie Howe's men were unable to stop the rot as they remained stuck too near the bottom end of the Championship.

With new loan signing Sam Vokes starting on the bench, the onus had again been on Austin and Rodriguez to take the fight to Leeds and they didn't disappoint in Burnley's up-tempo start.

Former players pay their tributes to Jimmy Adamson

Rodriguez, named as the North West's Championship Player of the Year for 2010/11 earlier in the week, was back to his best and gave the United defence the run-around from the off.

And looking for a repeat of the goal against Leeds that kick-started his goal rush mid-way through last season, the striker took just ten minutes to claim his first goal since the start of October.

Kieran Trippier was the architect with a perfect cross from the right flank which Rodriguez rose to meet and head powerfully downwards past McCarthy.

McCarthy was to become the key figure for the visitors as he kept them in touch with a couple of fine saves before half time.

Jay Rodriguez heads the Clarets in front

His first was enough to deny Keith Treacy, making the most of a recall in place of the injured Ross Wallace, as he stuck out a leg to keep out a low shot after the winger had tricked his way into the box.

Treacy was thwarted again in first-half stoppage time by the on-loan Reading keeper, who did well to keep out a long-range effort which was bottom-corner bound.

McCarthy also saved from the rampant Rodriguez, although he was just a spectator when Chris McCann, looking more like his old self, curled an effort inches wide of the far post after being picked out by Vokes.

The on-loan Wolves man came on for his Clarets' debut after 30 minutes to replace Austin after Burnley's leading League scorer was stretchered off with a shoulder injury.

The cruel blow to Austin was the only down point of an outstanding first half for the Clarets as they looked to bounce back from successive defeats.

Painful exit for Charlie Austin

The return of Michael Duff at the centre of the defence after almost three months out through injury helped steady the ship, although Ross McCormack remained a threat for United as he created the visitors' best two chances.

Goalkeeper Lee Grant was fortunate to get away with handling outside his penalty area as he dashed out to block from McCormack and then when the Scot smashed a free-kick through the Burnley wall, he again found Grant in the way with a fine block.

Having surrendered a half-time lead here to Leeds last season, the Clarets doubtless wanted the cushion of a second goal and 12 minutes after the break Treacy again almost provided it with a free-kick which by-passed the Leeds wall and again forced McCarthy to save.

The Irishman carried a real threat and moments after United manager Simon Grayson had changed his front two in an effort to get back into the game, Treacy was inches away from putting it beyond them with a superb right-foot strike which kissed the top of the bar and post.

Keith Treacy hits the woodwork

And the fine margin between winning and not was illustrated 13 minutes later when Leeds equalised out of nothing.

The Clarets' defence had looked relatively untroubled until Snodgrass was allowed to arrive undetected beyond the far post and poke home a deep cross from Lloyd Sam.

Buoyed by that goal and surviving a chance at the other end when Rodriguez lifted a flick-on from Vokes over the top, Leeds then pushed for a winner and got it with two minutes to go as Snodgrass again fired home from an angle as the Clarets' were unable to clear a corner and suffered a painful sense of déjà vu.

Burnley: Grant, Trippier, Easton, Duff, Edgar, McCann, Bartley, Stanislas (Hines 65), Rodriguez, Austin (Vokes 30), Treacy. Subs: Amougou, Marney, Stewart.

Booked: Trippier 45

Leeds: McCarthy, Connolly, Kisnorbo, Sam, Howson, Clayton, Snodgrass, White, Keogh (Becchio 59), McCormack (Nunez 59), O'Dea (Lees 82). Subs: Brown, Cairns.

Booked: O'Dea 74

Referee: Scott Mathieson

Attendance: 17,226

Chris McCann feels the pain of defeat

    Data provided by Press Association