Skip to main content


21:45 27th September 2011


Brilliant Burnley rattled in five league goals for the first time since going nap against the same opposition two years ago as Forest were felled again at Turf Moor.

Jay Rodriguez claimed Burnley's goal of the season in a 5-0 win in March, 2009 that had the Clarets heading for promotion to the top flight.

And the striker enjoyed another red-letter day as his first Championship goals of the current campaign propelled Eddie Howe's men towards a memorable first home league success of the season.

Rodriguez's quickfire double set the tone for a rampant first half which brought further goals for Chris McCann and Ross Wallace as Forest were blown away.

Jay Rod heads the Clarets in front

And while Burnley couldn't hit the same heights after the break, Charlie Austin's seventh goal of the season provided a fitting finale to a potentially pivotal performance as he stayed on level terms with Rodriguez in their goal-laden race for the golden boot.

The night could hardly have started better for the Clarets as two goals in the opening 15 minutes had Forest rocking to the core.

And makes it 2-0 before celebrating with Junior Stanislas

And it was a double triumph for Rodriguez as he ended his lengthening wait to open his Championship account.

Austin had grabbed most of the goalscoring headlines but this time he turned creator with a magnificent leap to head back a cross from Junior Stanislas for Rodriguez to climb above Wes Morgan and nod in.

With the confidence of that early strike behind him, Rodriguez then added a second just ten minutes later as Howe's unchanged side built on the promise of Saturday's impressive performance against league leaders Southampton.

Again Stanislas provided the cross for Rodriguez to meet with an excellent glancing header which he sent beyond Lee Camp and into the far corner.

Forest were getting pulled in all directions but out of nowhere they should have been back in the game with 20 minutes gone.

Joel Lynch pounced after Ross Wallace lost possession and from his cross Ishmael Miller should have steered the ball between the posts, despite the presence of Brian Easton's last-gasp challenge.

It's 3-0 as Chris McCann tucks one away

Miller and former Blackburn Rovers striker Matt Derbyshire were guilty of further misses later in the half but it was still a 45 minutes to forget for the visitors who torn apart by the rampant Clarets.

Kieran Trippier wreaked havoc down the Clarets' right side and both Rodriguez and Austin went close to turning in low crosses before a corner from the other side from Stanislas was met by Austin who was only denied the third goal by Camp's fine save.

The next goal wasn't long in coming, though, and it was another corner that unhinged Forest as McCann pounced to sweep the ball in from close range after an effort from Andre Amougou had been only half blocked.

Beleaguered Forest boss Steve McClaren had already made a substitution and changed his side's formation to try and avoid stem the flow but a minute before the break it was 4-0 as Forest gave the ball away and again and Wallace gleefully accepted the offer to stride forward and bury a low 20-yarder past Camp.

McClaren's response was to send his players out half way through the interval where they inadvertently ended up as part of the half-time pageant of schoolchildren involved in the launch of the Clarets' new community scheme.

And Ross Wallace makes it four

It's unlikely they saw the funny side but Forest did gain some relief after an hour when Miller pulled a goal back.

The striker's strength had caused Burnley problems and when he out-muscled David Edgar he finally kept his composure to beat Lee Grant and ruin the Clarets' prospects of keeping a rare clean sheet.

The goal was symptomatic of Burnley's sluggish start to the second half and although Marvin Bartley lifted things with a driving run and shot over the bar, Forest almost added a second when substitute Robbie Findley volleyed against the outside of a post.

That scare came as wake-up call and the Clarets stirred themselves again to take the game to Forest and they were rewarded with a fifth goal with 20 minutes to go when Austin got his now almost customary effort, stretching superbly to meet Brian Easton's cross with a looping header that was over the line before Wes Morgan cleared.

And it should have been six before the end when substitutes Dean Marney and Zavon Hines combined for Hines to go within inches of his first Burnley goal.

Charlie Austin watches from the ground as the fifth goes in

This time Morgan did get back to clear and at the other end it took a fine save from Grant to deny Miller a second goal before Lewis McGugan's deflected shot hit a post in stoppage time.

But this was a night about Burnley's strikeforce as the Clarets took a major step towards getting their season into top gear.

Burnley: Grant, Trippier, Edgar, Amougou, Easton, McCann, Bartley (MacDonald 80), Wallace, Rodriguez, Austin (Marney 76), Stanislas (Hines 76). Subs: Mee, Stewart.

Nottingham Forest: Camp, Gunter (Findley 27), Hill, Chambers, Morgan, Lynch, Reid (Majewski ht), Greening, Moussi, Derbyshire (McGugan 75), Miller. Subs: McGugan, Tudgay, Smith.

Booked: Chambers 85

Referee: Eddie Ilderton.

Attendance: 13,265

    Data provided by Press Association