Skip to main content


17:05 20th August 2011


Charlie Austin further enhanced his growing reputation but the Clarets were left waiting for their first Championship win of the season as Cardiff held on for a point at a frustrated Turf Moor.

Charlie Austin heads the Clarets in front

Austin's early headed goal - his third of the season - was the catalyst for a blistering start for Eddie Howe's men as they looked to kick-start their campaign.

But with a physical Cardiff side able to stem the tide and level before the break through Rob Earnshaw, the upshot was a second successive home draw.

Burnley had chances to take maximum points but with new signing Zavon Hines unable to help force a late winner after coming off the bench the Clarets had to take consolation from their best performance so far as a more tangible reward remained elusive.

Having made three changes to his starting line-up with Austin, Michael Duff and Dean Marney all returning to frontline duty, Howe must have delighted with the start the Clarets made.

With width on both sides through Ross Wallace and Keith Treacy, Cardiff were stretched from the off.

And earns the congratulations along with Keiran Trippier

And it took just two minutes for the Clarets to go in front. Kieran Tripper has added an extra dimension to Burnley's attacking play and it one of his marauding runs from full-back that created the opening goal.

The on-loan Manchester City man ghosted past Andre Taylor and delivered the perfect cross for a revitalised Austin to meet with a thumping header which he directed down past David Marshall's left hand.

The Wallace-Tripper partnership has echoes of Chris Eagles and Tyrone Mears at their best and from another Trippier cross Austin headed wide at full stretch as the Clarets produced some top-drawer stuff.

Buoyed by his second goal in three Championship appearances, Austin gave the Cardiff defence a torrid time and when he let fly from 30 yards, Marshall was far from comfortable as he parried the ball away.

Brian Easton stops Don Cowie in full flight

But just as it looked as though the Clarets might take complete control, their rhythm was disrupted by a flurry of yellow cards shown to Cardiff defenders Kevin McNaughton, Anthony Gerrard and Mark Hudson for a trio of crude challenges.

Gerrard was lucky to stay on the pitch after flying into Austin from behind as the ball went out of play, although Burnley might also have been holding their collective breath as Marney, given no leeway when booked for his first tackle, avoided a second caution for a high foot from overworked referee Tony Bates.

With both of Cardiff's full-backs suffering a dizzying afternoon, Treacy gave McNaughton the slip again with half an hour gone but sent his low shot skidding just across the face of goal.

And possibly with their concentration interrupted, Burnley paid the price as the Bluebirds levelled six minutes before the break.

Rob Earnshaw bags a point for the Bluebirds

Earnshaw had hardly been seen but the Wales international is a proven poacher and when the Clarets allowed him space in the box to control a cross from Taylor, the striker buried a chance from eight yards out.

Having to do all the hard work again, Burnley launched onto the front foot at the start of the second half with Wallace sending a long-range effort skimming inches wide.

And Wallace was instrumental in many of the Clarets' best attacking moves, picking out Treacy with one raking crossfield pass which the Irish international took inside McNaughton before firing goalwards with only the outstretched leg of Hudson blocking the route to goal.

Burnley were knocking on the door as they battled to get their noses back in front and with 25 minutes to go, Howe sent on Hines in place of the tiring Austin to try and force the breakthrough.

Chris McCann goes close to a winner

Having spent much of the game in their own half, Cardiff began to threaten on the break and former Clarets' loanee Peter Whittingham shot just wide from as long way out before Ben Mee was forced to head away from Kenny Miller at the cost of a painful blow against a post.

But Burnley should have won it with 11 minutes to go. Trippier had not been seen as such an attacking force but Brian Easton took up the mantle on the opposite flank and when he delivered a mouth-watering cross, captain Chris McCann headed down and wide rather than in to leave his side feeling a little short-changed with a solitary point.

Debutant Zavon Hines came off the bench

Burnley: Grant, Trippier, Duff, Mee, Easton, Marney, McCann, Wallace (MacDonald 84), Rodriguez, Austin (Hines 65), Treacy (Elliott 77). Subs: Edgar, Jensen.

Booked: Marney 7

Cardiff: Marshall, McNaughton, Taylor, Hudson, Gerrard, Whittingham, Cowie, Miller, Earnshaw (Gestede 75), Conway, Mason (Blake 69). Subs: Keinan, Quinn, Heaton.

Booked: McNaughton 21, Gerrard 26, Hudson 35, Miller 90

Referee: Tony Bates

Attendance: 13,438

    Data provided by Press Association