Skip to main content


01:17 22nd September 2010


Wade Elliott has already earned his place in Clarets' history but added a further footnote with his Carling Cup winner against Bolton.

It was Elliott's goal at Wembley which propelled Burnley into the Premier League in 2009 under the guidance of Owen Coyle.

This time, though, Coyle was on the receiving end as his return to Turf Moor ended in defeat.

The Scot was back on his former stamping ground for the first time since his shock departure to take charge of Bolton in January.

Many of the Clarets' supporters took the opportunity to make it a less than warm welcome back.

But critically Brian Laws' players fed positively off the passion swirling around the stadium as they rose to the occasion magnificently to claim a top-flight scalp and rekindle memories of the Clarets' run to the semi-finals of the competition in their promotion season.

Burnley bridged the gap superbly to secure a minor upset courtesy of Elliott's 44th-minute volley which extended the Clarets' 100 per cent home record at Turf Moor since relegation.

Wade's winner

The tone was set right from the off as Chris Eagles tore into the Bolton defence, forcing Adam Bogdan to save in the first minute and then seeing a shot touched onto the bar.

With the quick feet of Eagles and Elliott springing forward from a platform laid by returning skipper Graham Alexander and a dominant back four, Bolton were restricted to playing on the break with ex-Claret Robbie Blake often the orchestrator.

But the visitors nearly broke through after quarter of an hour when Tamir Cohen aimed for the bottom corner only to be denied by Lee Grant on an impressive home debut.

The Clarets looked to have lost some of their early sting but that was restored when Jay Rodrguez smacked a shot against the post from 25 yards.

Chris Eagles in full flight

And just before the break came the decisive goal. Typically Eagles was involved and when Chris Iwelumo headed his back his cross, Elliott leapt to fire home an acrobatic volley from eight yards out.

Referee Mark Clattenburg seemed unsure whether Bogdan had blocked on the line but following a chat with his assistant, rightly gave the goal.

Bolton battled to get back into the game after the break with Ivan Klasnic forcing Grant to save his angled drive and Cohen missing their best chance with a shot he screwed into the side netting.

But the Clarets continued to pour men forward and threaten around the penalty area.

Happy days

Twelve minutes from time Rodriguez could have killed off the tie but after being released by a sublime piece of skilled from Eagles, the youngster dragged his shot wide.

It was not a costly miss, though, as Clarke Carlisle and Andre Bikey stood firm at the back to see Burnley over the line on a triumphant evening.

Burnley: Grant, Mears, Fox, Carlisle, Bikey, Alexander, Cork, Elliott, Iwelumo (Thompson 74), Rodriguez (Marney 88), Eagles (Paterson 83). Subs: Duff, Cort, Easton, Jensen.

Bolton: Bogdan, Steinsson, Alonso,Ricketts, Knight, M Davies, Klasnic (Elmander 71), Taylor, Moreno (Lee 71), Blake, Cohen. Subs: Robinson, Muamba, Holden, Petrov, Lainton.

Referee: Mark Clattenburg

Booked: Burnley: Marney 90

Bolton: Cohen 35, Davies 43

Attendance: 17,062

No hard feelings

    Data provided by Press Association