Skip to main content


19:14 22nd January 2011


Eddie Howe knows that his new team has clicked as a defensive unit but is yet to see them score after the Clarets were held to a second successive goalless draw.

Having watched the Clarets produce a stalemate against Championship leaders QPR a week previously, Howe had the chance to influence things from the dug-out for the first time as Burnley boss.

And while he must have been pleased with the endeavour he engineered from his charges, the former Bournemouth chief was unable to provide an instant answer to the Clarets' away-day mystery.

Burnley went closest to winning it in a lively second half but with struggling Scunthorpe managing to hold out to avoid a tenth defeat in 11 games the Clarets were left waiting for their second away success of the campaign.

The draw specialists made it seven single-point returns in 12 games away from Turf Moor with next Tuesday night's trip to face former manager Steve Cotterill and Portsmouth taking on greater importance as the play-off places remain tantalisingly just beyond touching distance.

Eddie Howe and Jason Tindall take charge

Howe's first selection brought two changes with Dean Marney and Ross Wallace coming into his starting line-up with Chris Iwelumo and former Scunthorpe stalwart Graham Alexander dropping to the bench.

But after a lively start it was the Iron who forced the few early chances.

Howe's former Bournemouth team-mate Wade Elliott came to the Clarets' rescue as he marked the 450th-league appearance of his career by heading a Sam Togwell effort off the line.

And then after Question Time master Clarke Carlisle had answered his first test with a crucial tackle on Jonathan Forte, Togwell again located the target with a long-range shot which Lee Grant saved low to his left.

The Clarets had showed very little going forward but with 33 minutes gone Chris Eagles missed the chance to put Howe's men ahead when he lifted a shot over the top after Wallace's skidding corner had reached him on the penalty spot.

Clarke Carlisle makes a crucial tackle before being injured

With Eagles pushed into a more central role - Elliott taking over his wide-right berth in a switch to a 4-4-2 formation - he looked increasingly Burnley's best bet for a goal and a minute later burst into the box and squeezed in a shot which Josh Lillis saved.

But in a scrappy opening half on a bobbly pitch Scunthorpe looked to hit the Clarets on the break and Martyn Woolford, who scored in the Iron's December win at Turf Moor which spelled the end of Brian Laws' tenure as boss, again forced Grant into action ten minutes before the interval.

Burnley's back four had looked solid enough but Howe was forced into a change at the start of the second half as Andre Bikey replaced Carlisle alongside Michael Duff after Carlisle failed to shake off a knock to the knee.

The remodelled defence again limited Scunthorpe largely to long-range efforts with Woolford swinging an effort wide after an hour.

Jay Rodriguez shoots just wide

And on a day for no-frills football the Clarets chiselled out a decent chance to go ahead two minutes later when Duff went long with a ball forward for Jay Rodriguez.

The striker showed exemplary control to get a run on goal but under pressure from Paul Reid pushed his shot wide from 20 yards.

Sensing the opportunity for all three points Howe beefed up his attack further with Iwelumo coming on in place of Wallace with Eagles reverting to flank duty and when Eagles delivered a near-post cross the Clarets' top scorer headed against the outside of the post with his first touch.

The momentum was increasingly going with the Clarets and Eagles almost marked his 100th league appearance with a spectacular goal as he curled an effort towards the top corner before Josh Lillis moved across to gather.

And Chris Iwelumo is denied by John Lillis

And Iwelumo was then again close to his first goal from Turf Moor when he chested down a fine pass from Jack Cork before stretching to get in a shot which Lillis did well to parry.

As the game became increasingly stretched Burnley went for the winner but with a Marney shot being deflected wide and Lillis just managing to keep out a swerving shot from the persistent Eagles there was to be no perfect ending for Howe.

Burnley: Grant, Mears, Fox, Carlisle (Bikey ht), Duff, Cork, Marney, Elliott, Eagles, Rodriguez, Wallace (Iwelumo 62). Subs: Alexander, Thompson, Edgar, Easton, Jensen.

Booked: Fox 37

Scunthorpe: Lillis, A Wright, Hughes, Raynes, Reid, Woolford, Togwell, Ibrahim, Duffy (Nolan 84), Forte (Godden 88), Dagnall (Grant 71). Subs: Mirfin, J Wright, Collins, Slocombe.

Referee: Grant Hegley

Attendance: 4,334 (816 Burnley)

As Howe feels the frustration

    Data provided by Press Association