Skip to main content


17:05 26th December 2010


The Clarets re-wrote ancient and modern history to finally break their away-day duck and get their promotion push moving again on a happy Boxing Day in South Yorkshire.

Quick-fire goals just after the break from teenage talent John Guidetti and the outstanding Andre Bikey saw the Clarets come from behind to claim their first win at Oakwell in 78 years.

John Guidetti opens his Burnley account

And, more relevantly, a superb second-half performance gave Brian Laws' side a first Championship success away from Turf Moor this season as they completed the double over in-form Barnsley.

It was also only the second time Burnley had won a league game away from Turf Moor since April 2009, as the play-off places homed back into view.

The result could hardly have been more timely to ease the pressure and give the Clarets, with two home games to come over the holiday period, the chance to enter the New Year in rude health.

Laws decided to give youth its chance in a bid to end the Clarets' away hoodoo with Guidetti given the nod to partner Jay Rodriguez in attack as the on-loan Manchester City striker made his full Burnley debut.

At the other end of the age scale, Graham Alexander returned in central midfield as the other change to the side that had surrendered a two-goal against Leeds United a fortnight earlier.

The weather had forced the Clarets to bide their time before getting the chance to try and make amends and the big freeze had kept this game in doubt until late morning as Barnsley battled to plug burst pipes at Oakwell.

However, their impressive run of four wins in an unbeaten five-game stretch had made them desperate to get the game on and the Tykes certainly started in full flow.

Mark Robins' side was lively going forward, although with Bikey back on his 'A' game the Clarets prevented any clear sights of goal.

And it was Burnley who almost went ahead after 15 minutes when only the width of a post prevented Guidetti from scoring his first League goal.

Ross Wallace's break from midfield released Jack Cork down the left-hand side and from Cork's deep cross the 18-year-old striker steered his header back across goal but against the inside of the post.

The loose ball dropped for Wallace but his driven shot was blocked on the line by Jason Shackell as the home side somehow survived.

The Clarets looked as though they might go on to take charge as they stretched the Tykes with a period of controlled football but having seemingly nullified Barnsley's early threat they suddenly went behind with 25 minutes gone.

Goran Lovre's fine through-ball split the Burnley defence and Adam Hamill, who had been given little joy by Tyrone Mears in a wide position, popped up through the middle to run through on goal.

Lee Grant made a fine save from Hammill's first effort but when the ball landed back at his feet the Tykes' top scorer was left with a simple tap-in.

The Clarets needed to respond and within four minutes they had the chance to level. Alexander's free-kick into the penalty area seemingly needed only a touch from Clarke Carlisle but the defender couldn't make contact with an attempted header.

And then when another decent move ended with a cross from Wade Elliott, goalkeeper Luke Steele got away with a fumble as he dropped the ball before grabbing it at the second attempt as Rodriguez and Wallace waited to pounce.

The Clarets went off at half time to a decidedly mixed response from their away following of 2,738, but just when they needed to show their character they did so in magnificent style with two goals in five minutes early in the second half.

Bar his close shave in the first half, Guidetti had struggled to make much impression but the youngster's pedigree shows he knows where the net is and just when it mattered most he duly delivered.

Elliott was the provider with another fine cross and the young Swede showed his aerial power with a fantastic header back across Steele again and this time into the corner of the net.

It was just the start the Clarets needed to a crucial 45 minutes and after surviving a scare when Lovre nodded just wide from a Kieran Trippier free-kick, things got even better when Bikey made it 2-1.

This time Elliott's attempted cross was blocked at the expense of a corner which Wallace swung into the near post.

Bikey had been a tower of strength in the air all afternoon and again he got their first to power the ball into the top corner and celebrate his second goal of the season with his trademark somersault.

Having let leads slip away from home this season the Clarets this time went for the kill and were rampant for the next 20 minutes.

Elliott and Guidetti created a chance for Rodriguez which he sliced wide and then a superb run and cross from the resurgent Guidetti saw Rodriguez glance a header against the inside of the post as the woodwork again denied the Clarets.

With Guidetti having run his race, Laws replaced him with Eagles as the winger returned from a month out and immediately got into the action with a long-range drive which had Steele scrambling to save.

Inevitably Barnsley then threw men forward in the dying stages as they chased a leveller but this time there would be no cracking as the Clarets never gave the Tykes a sniff of goal as they impressively closed the game out to record a famous win.

Job Done!

Burnley: Grant, Mears, Easton, Carlisle, Bikey, Alexander, Cork, Elliott, Rodriguez, Guidetti (Eagles 72), Wallace: Subs: Iwelumo, Edgar, Marney, Thompson, Duff, Jensen.

Barnsley: Steele, Trippier, Hassell, Foster, Shackell, Colace (Butterfield 63), O'Brien, Doyle, Gray (Bennett 71), Lovre (Hayes 57), Hammill. Subs: Hayes, Neumann, Arismendi, Hill, Preece.

Booked: Doyle 73

Referee: Colin Webster.

Attendance: 14,219

    Data provided by Press Association